NIGHT OF THE RACOON

Jumpyrules

Chirping
Jan 10, 2023
About a week ago, i started seeing weird things. the dirt around our coop was loose. I saw pawprints,so i set a trap. This morning, i was eating breakfast, and i saw the monster, in the trap! it was a racoon!!! i gave it a stick and it was shreaded in secs. we r going to free him later, but yikes. RACOON ATTACK!!!

About a week ago, i started seeing weird things. the dirt around our coop was loose. I saw pawprints,so i set a trap. This morning, i was eating breakfast, and i saw the monster, in the trap! it was a racoon!!! i gave it a stick and it was shreaded in secs. we r going to free him later, but yikes. RACOON ATTACK!!!
I wouldn’t release it. I’d kill it.

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Raccoon (aka trash panda), skunk, opossum, mink, weasel, and just about everything else under the sun loves a chicken dinner.

It's the reason many of us have buried hardware cloth "aprons" and/or "skirts" to prevent digging in. Also all ventilation or other holes are covered with 1/2 inch hardware cloth as well.. Raccoon are notorious for being able to reach through anything larger and usually decapitate a bird.

Relocation is illegal in most locations as well as being inhumane with regards to releasing.

I did accidentally trap a raccoon once while trying to trap feral cats for the TNR program and released it (the nasty attitude coon) at the same location next to my pole barn (it still comes by about every 3 nights trying to score pole barn cat feed).. I know they're here and there's more where they came from. I can't kill every bit of hungry wildlife in my location, nor do I wish to.. securing my coops (and feed) is HOW I deal.

To me what you describe is just a visit.. possibly with attack looming. Glad no one was hurt thus far! Hope it stays that way. :thumbsup

OP can release it in his backyard where it won't have to fight for new territory. There are many reason it's illegal to randomly discard living animals into new environments. Bullet to the head is a quicker death than the potential starvation, disease, or other issues caused by relocating (illegally, again).

You don't have to kill predators. You can try to predator-proof your run and coop as an alternative. I personally just thin out the local raccoon population. OP should release in place if not terminating.

Back
Top Bottom