nipple system reservoir tank

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
i have a nipple system set up so the bottom of my tank has the nipples. To make more space in the coop, I want to move the reservoir outside and connect it with tubing to a pvc line.

how are people connecting the line to the bucket? I can't find specifics

spigot?
some kind of valve on the bottom of the bucket? what kind?

I used a 5 gal bucket and a toilet float valve, the out going line to the pen is 3/4 in pvc . used 2 3/4 in couplers and a couple 0 rings for seals for the out going line . all at Home Depot for about 20 bucks got the cheap $10 toilet float valve . works good no problems and finally the chickens have clean water and the 5 gal bucket I can dose some apple cider vinager . hope this helps .

i too will use a bucket. however, in the morning, our hose lines freeze so I'll be manually filling the bucket once a week or so. But what's joining the bucket and the pvc line? what kind of valve or connector

You can use a bulkhead or uniseals. Have a look at bulkreefsupply.com and do a search for bulkhead. Proper irrigation stores carry bulkheads and some plumbing places. I buy mine online, much cheaper.

ok looks simple enough. just drill a hole large enough for this and slip it in (like a poultry nipple)?

Yep. A uniseal might be easiest for you to use. If you do decide to go with a bulkhead make sure that if you're going to glue your PVC into the fitting to get a non threaded bulkhead. If you're planning to use screw in fittings get the threaded bulkhead. Another thing is to make sure that with a bulked the rubber gasket sits against the flange and not against the "nut" because that will lead to leaking.

I use a 55 gallon drum on its side and the bung? hole plug had a threaded hole to be drilled out so we did and I think it was just a regular hose pipe attachment. We took it to the home improvement store and they gave us what we needed.

Here is a pic. It was an adapter of some sort and then that fit into another adapter to fit in the cut valve. Then it was straight pipping to each coop. Going to use something similar in my breeding pens, but with rain water collection system.

92428_dsc03697.jpg

I'm struggling with this myself at the moment. I got some pvc male/female adapters that screw in each other and will put washers and o-rings in the connection until I get a tight fit. I haven't tried this yet but hopefully will work on it some this weekend. Will share pics if it works, and let you know if it didn't. One thing someone at HD mentioned was to attach this contraption to the bottom of the bucket rather than to the side for a tighter fit since it's flat. Made sense to me.

I also researched the bulkheads and couldn't find them anywhere. They are my plan "B".

Make sure you make a very tight connection and secure it on the inside of the bucket as well to avoid any leaking.
62744_fullkit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom