Nipple waterers ok for ducks?

HennyPenny2

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Summerville South Carolina
I have nipple waterers both the vertical and horizontal kind for my chickens but is it ok for fresh water for the ducks IF I have a large stock tank for them to swim in and submerge their heads? Or do I really have to have a regular waterer for them? They will be in same run as my chickens which is why I ask and I know if I use a regular waterer then my chickens will also want to use it and I stopped using them in the first place to make cleaning easier and keep the water fresher and cleaner as well. Thanks

I've never tried using nipple waterers with ducks, but I don't think it would work too well. They like to dip their bills in water to drink. Also, not sure they'd know what to do with the nipple waterers. I guess you could test it out, but I think you're going to need a water vessel.

Ducks can easily use nipple waterers and have no trouble learning, but they need a water source in which they can dip their heads in, to clean out their bills, nose, and eyes. Without that, they'll be prone to eye problems and blockages in their noses.

We use a rubber bucket as a waterer for our ducks, since they're tall and can stretch their necks over the edge to drink of it, and can still get their heads in it. Chickens could also use it but might pefer the nipple waterers since they don't have to jump up, and it's less likely to get dirty from poop if the chickens can't sit on it.

Any time ducks drink, the water will turn into a nasty mess, because they take a mouthful of food, drink water, then swallow. Some of the food gets into the water and leaves a thick, grimy mess at the bottom.

Ok so are you saying that the nipple waterers enough to help them when eating as long as I do have something for them to dunk their heads in such as the 15 gal stock tank? Or do they need a water source that enables them to dip their bills in water to eat?

Can I get confirmation on this? Will they still take a mouthful of water and use the nipple waterer to get enough water to swallow or are you saying that although they can use the nipples to get water they still need a way to dunk their beak in water with food to swallow?

It should be fine. If you see them gagging or choking while trying to swallow their food they may need a way to dunk their heads.

I would watch carefully for quite a while to be sure they handle it. Some animals become used to one method or another, then get dehydrated when the system changes because they don't catch on right away.

HennyPenny, I'm curious if you tried it and if it worked for the ducks? I have 2x 6 gallon buckets with a small hole in the lids that I have upside down in a hog pan to water my flock, but of course they get dirty and need a thorough cleaning every week, so the nipples should be a lot cleaner. But I'm worried about my ducks - they also have a 50 gallon stock tank to swim/dunk/drink, but of course they may not think about that once/if they start choking!

does anyone else have experience using this watering method? My 8 ducklings empty a gallon chicken waterer in minutes. They love to splash the water out. Very messy and they go without water for many hours because I am not home to fill it most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom