Nipple watering

Got a 2 gallon plastic bucket and painted it silver! Ordered the horizontal nipples today. I'll post finished product! Thx.

I use the water nipples for the chicks and it's the best way to keep water clean. But after they're grown they drink out of the water well trough like the dogs and goats do.

Can anyone recommend a good retailer for the black HDPE food-grade buckets I should be screwing my horizontal nipples into?

Does PVC work as well as the above black bucket? Seems like it may grown algae more quickly due to light exposure or be harder to clean?

Thanks, there's one nearby and they have a 3.5 gallon also which is what I wanted! (We only have 4 chickens and I don't want it to be insanely heavy when full.)

Can anyone recommend a good retailer for the black HDPE food-grade buckets I should be screwing my horizontal nipples into?

Does PVC work as well as the above black bucket? Seems like it may grown algae more quickly due to light exposure or be harder to clean?
PVC works fine.

How do you clean the PVC andhow often must it be done? I'm assuming the whole thing has to come down and be scrubbed with some kind of long handled brush inside?
I have a PVC drinker (also a feeder). It doesn't need cleaning with anything, I just let the water overflow when I fill it up to wash out any ants or anything. There is no algae or anything inside, it is light-proof so nothing grows in there. Nothing that needs scrubbing.

Tested one of the horizontal nipples out on a maple syrup jug (thick plastic) in the brooder so the girls could get the hang of it. So far there are still a couple hold outs but I'm hoping to remove the other waterer in the next couple days. LOVE how easy and mess-free it is!

Question for making their grown-up system. How many nipples would be ideal for 4 chickens? I am thinking I'll just do one for each since our summers are hot, unless you think that's overkill.

Tested one of the horizontal nipples out on a maple syrup jug (thick plastic) in the brooder so the girls could get the hang of it. So far there are still a couple hold outs but I'm hoping to remove the other waterer in the next couple days. LOVE how easy and mess-free it is!

Question for making their grown-up system. How many nipples would be ideal for 4 chickens? I am thinking I'll just do one for each since our summers are hot, unless you think that's overkill.
I have 20 chickens and 4 nipples on the 5 gallon bucket. Haven't had any problems. So you probably don't need that many.

Back
Top Bottom