no animal by- product feed- help please!

On beef in chicken food:
cattle tissues that have the highest risk

certain cattle materials

Heck that still means their can be cow in chicken food!
th.gif

Just certain parts are not allowed.

See Beekissed...You are not crazy.... I believe you..
wink.png

Now with certified Organic poultry feed NO mammal products are allowed.

ON​

Last edited:
Quote:
Heck chris,
"common" is kind of a deceptive word..
I googled "beef in poultry feed and the first hit was our good friends at the AMD corperation, whose 4th ingredient in their poultry starter is animal protein products
Now of course the folks at AMD do not say specifically what those animal protein products are, but I sure bet they are not fish meal.. Maybe feather meal, or maybe the beef from the show Beekissed saw????????????????????
http://www.admani.com/alliancepoultry/Poultry Feed Products.htm

That on top of Sonoran Silkies saying
Beef has not been allowed in poultry feed for many years.

Yet the regs clearly say to me only certain high risk parts like brains and spinal cords or infected cows are not allowed!

WOW guys......
idunno.gif

ON​

Quote:
I agree each to their own as to what they chose to feed their birds. What I don't agree with is making a blanket statement about commercial feeds. Unless they are a chemist who has done testing on every commercially available feed they really have no clue what is or isn't a good feed.

I disagree with you as to the corn and soy making us the fattest nation.....personally I think it's because more people than not have jobs that they sit all day at least 5 days a week and then they go home and sit in front of the TV the rest of the day. What percentage of kids rarely go outside and play like I and my kids did when we were young?....I imagine it's a pretty high percentage. Now they sit inside and play video games. If people still worked like we do here on our farm 7 days a week the number of obese people would be drastically lowered.

Last edited:
Quote:
ah-ha! Therein lies the thing that makes me go "hmmm".

Let's keep chickens so we can get away from the industrial food system and have "farm fresh" eggs in our backyards...but let's feed them the flotsam and jetsam of that very system?

It just doesn't make sense to me. That type of feed is the reason industrial eggs are bad for you. Chickens fed like real chickens produce healthy eggs. They are also happier, healthier and easier to take care of.

Quote:

Let's keep chickens so we can get away from the industrial food system and have "farm fresh" eggs in our backyards...but let's feed them the flotsam and jetsam of that very system?

It just doesn't make sense to me. That type of feed is the reason industrial eggs are bad for you. Chickens fed like real chickens produce healthy eggs. They are also happier, healthier and easier to take care of.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:

So just what do you feed your flock? Totally organic grains?

Quote:
Katy,
You are right blanket statements are generally never a good idea, there are virtually always exceptions, and one should judge the individual person/place or thing such as a feed. Just because something is commercial does not make it "bad".. Agreed, and thank you.
Obesity; INDEED! Again, one can not point a finger at a single factor such as what goes into our food. I agree, current live styles with desk jobs and kids playing video games instead of riding a bike are a big factor in the obesity problem. The point I am making is all the high fructose corn syrup in soda pop and so so many other products sure helps accelerate the problem. Heck I made chili the other day, was lazy and did not get the kidney beans soaking in time, so I use a can of plain old kidney beans..They contain high fructose corn syrup!!!!!
Yikes, what the heck??

Finally, I agree with you about if people still worked on the farm like your family does... THIS is one reason I am against the status quo of the industrial ag system we currently have. THIS is a reason I am an advocate of the Local food movement!!!!!! IF and when local foods can compete with the status quo we can have more people farming again, having jobs where they their own boss, laboring hard for an honest living..

ON

Quote:
le neige homme,
Yes I too am interested in what you feed your flock... Also the costs and if organic or not?

---------------------------------------------------

Me, Everything BUT the BOSS and occasional chunk of mammal I give the birds is certified organic. Know the Venison my flock gets is surely organic.....But to be a certified organic feed, it can not be mammal..... (Again those blanket policies.) I am big on live food so I sprout the BOSS, oats and wheat, which boosts the protein up from the 16 or 17 percent the mix is dry, so I think I could get away from the venison supplement if I felt so inclined to do so... Yes I feed 10% corn
roll.png
It is organic non GMO corn, and yes even I feel corn is a wonderful feed component in moderation.
wink.png

Here is the feed:
6 parts Black Oil Sunflower
6 parts Oats
6 parts hard red winter Wheat
3 parts field Peas
3 parts corn
3 parts whole Flax
3 parts Alfalfa
1/2 part Kelp
1/8 part Oyster shell
1/8 part DE
1/8 part Azomite
Notes:
First 3 ingredients are whole grain and sprouted for 1-5 days before feeding.
Field peas and corn are ground and mixed with whole flax, alfalfa meal or pellets, kelp, oyster shell, DE and azomite. (These ingredients are are moistened with Water Kefir grains, Kombucha, AVC, or mashed fruit or vegtables.)

I buy in bulk once a year at spring planting time. I feed 36 birds or so. My cost per 50 lbs is around $15.

ON

Quote:
Katy,
You are right blanket statements are generally never a good idea, there are virtually always exceptions, and one should judge the individual person/place or thing such as a feed. Just because something is commercial does not make it "bad".. Agreed, and thank you.
Obesity; INDEED! Again, one can not point a finger at a single factor such as what goes into our food. I agree, current live styles with desk jobs and kids playing video games instead of riding a bike are a big factor in the obesity problem. The point I am making is all the high fructose corn syrup in soda pop and so so many other products sure helps accelerate the problem. Heck I made chili the other day, was lazy and did not get the kidney beans soaking in time, so I use a can of plain old kidney beans..They contain high fructose corn syrup!!!!!
Yikes, what the heck??

Finally, I agree with you about if people still worked on the farm like your family does... THIS is one reason I am against the status quo of the industrial ag system we currently have. THIS is a reason I am an advocate of the Local food movement!!!!!! IF and when local foods can compete with the status quo we can have more people farming again, having jobs where they their own boss, laboring hard for an honest living..

ON

I think your statement that I highlighted is an unrealistic idea. Locally produced foods probably won't ever be able to compete in today's market place because most people don't give a rat's behind where or how their food is grown. They want a cheap food source which is what agriculture has worked to produce for them. There will never be more people farming for a living. Farmers/ranchers make up less than 2% of the US population and those who do it without any off the farm income as we do it is supposedly less than 1% of the population. The only way more people could ever farm is if big farms were willing to sell off portions of their holdings to individuals and the odds of that ever happening is almost zero. Does it happen? Yes, people go out and buy a small acreage and start raising some veggies to sell at their local farmer's market, but to do it on a scale to make a living doing it is very unrealistic for most people. Then there is the work involved with farming.....most people are not willing to have to work that hard....especially if you have livestock.... for very little paycheck.

Quote:
le neige homme,
Yes I too am interested in what you feed your flock... Also the costs and if organic or not?

---------------------------------------------------

Me, Everything BUT the BOSS and occasional chunk of mammal I give the birds is certified organic. Know the Venison my flock gets is surely organic.....But to be a certified organic feed, it can not be mammal..... (Again those blanket policies.) I am big on live food so I sprout the BOSS, oats and wheat, which boosts the protein up from the 16 or 17 percent the mix is dry, so I think I could get away from the venison supplement if I felt so inclined to do so... Yes I feed 10% corn
roll.png
It is organic non GMO corn, and yes even I feel corn is a wonderful feed component in moderation.
wink.png

Here is the feed:
6 parts Black Oil Sunflower
6 parts Oats
6 parts hard red winter Wheat
3 parts field Peas
3 parts corn
3 parts whole Flax
3 parts Alfalfa
1/2 part Kelp
1/8 part Oyster shell
1/8 part DE
1/8 part Azomite
Notes:
First 3 ingredients are whole grain and sprouted for 1-5 days before feeding.
Field peas and corn are ground and mixed with whole flax, alfalfa meal or pellets, kelp, oyster shell, DE and azomite. (These ingredients are are moistened with Water Kefir grains, Kombucha, AVC, or mashed fruit or vegtables.)

I buy in bulk once a year at spring planting time. I feed 36 birds or so. My cost per 50 lbs is around $15.

ON

Let me be the devil's advocate here.....You don't believe what corporate farming says....what makes you believe that what you're buying is truely organic? Yes, I know they are supposed to have passed all these guidelines to be certified organic, but I don't believe they all follow the rules either. Unless you have followed it back to the source you can't be 100% sure.

Back
Top Bottom