No Chick starter?

Hennyfromdblock

Songster
Sep 15, 2021
Please forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong thread :bow.

Will not feeding chicks, chick starter harm them? I’ve always had the curiosity in what will happen if they’re fed grown chicken feed, (All flock/scratch grains) I’m pretty sure there’s people that have never fed their chicks any starter and they turned out great. But could it be unhealthy in the long run, will they grow up/fatten up too quickly and their little legs won’t be able to handle their weight. I’m sorry if it’s silly I’m just genuinely curious.

I don't know why chick starter is bad for them out of curiosity can you explain it. I know they need the chick starter cuz it has more protein and they need that to grow and I I'm pretty sure its very important to them to have it. Can you explain to me why it's bad.

Please forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong thread :bow.

Will not feeding chicks, chick starter harm them? I’ve always had the curiosity in what will happen if they’re fed grown chicken feed, (All flock/scratch grains) I’m pretty sure there’s people that have never fed their chicks any starter and they turned out great. But could it be unhealthy in the long run, will they grow up/fatten up too quickly and their little legs won’t be able to handle their weight. I’m sorry if it’s silly I’m just genuinely curious.
We let our game hens hatch and care for their chicks and we've never offered them anything different than what the adults eat, and they're really healthy always and grow well.
I would guess that if your chicks aren't with their mothers and they are allowed to forage they might get a deficient diet and that's why people give them starter. I imagine they might not develop to their full potential or they might end up malnourished. But I can't talk from experience in that sense.

We let our game hens hatch and care for their chicks and we've never offered them anything different than what the adults eat, and they're really healthy always and grow well.
I would guess that if your chicks aren't with their mothers and they are allowed to forage they might get a deficient diet and that's why people give them starter. I imagine they might not develop to their full potential or they might end up malnourished. But I can't talk from experience in that sense.
Yes I thought maybe it’s ok only to offer when their being raised without momma. Thank you for your feedback 😀.

I don't know why chick starter is bad for them out of curiosity can you explain it. I know they need the chick starter cuz it has more protein and they need that to grow and I I'm pretty sure its very important to them to have it. Can you explain to me why it's bad.
I was asking if not giving them chick starter is bad not stating that I think it’s bad 🙂

Hi, I was just curious. I was watching a video on YouTube about wild chickens in Florida and how some people are feeding them and I seen a mom with a bunch of what seemed week old chicks and they were just eating whatever the mom offered. Many thoughts came across so I had to look for some answers 😊.
Yeah whatever I give the hens and she offers they'll eat. I think that as long as your hens are good moms then you have absolutely no problems with them growing well. Trust me that I know from experience.

Back
Top Bottom