No eggs for a few months now

Churkenduse

Songster
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
I know that they stop laying in the cold and in the darkness of winter, but it is not cold here, today it was over 60 degrees. We have not had an egg in months, I just found one in the coop but I don't know how old it was.
I have had my girls since 2007, are they old? I never went more than a few days at most of no eggs.

I looked under the porch I went on my belly and did not find any sign of an egg I looked all over, I do not have that much land that they could hide a lot of eggs.
any suggestions? Are they done? am I getting carried away?
How long to all of you wait for eggs in the winter cold areas?

thanks everyone.

But I didn't them to all stop at the same time, one of them is much older and she was layinmg along with them. It is so funny they all stopped at the same time. Boo hoo....
thanks

You didn't say what breed they were. Sex link layers burn out after only about 2 years. I'm happy you've actually gotten 5 years of eggs from them. Hens need 14 hours of light to stimulate laying. I have mine on a timer that comes on at 3:30 am. Hope this helps!

I swapped out my buff orpingtons and barred rocks after 2.5 years because their production dropped off considerably. I would have to think that after 5 years they are definitely done.

Really only 2.5 years? then I guess I am lucky. I have two RIR's that are 5 years old and one Lakenvelder that is over 6, not sure I rescued her.
the thing that really amazed me is that all of them stopped at the exact same time. go figure.
Thanks I don't feel so bad now.

Yes, 5 years is getting up there for hens to still be laying a lot. They won't lay as frequently as the younger hens, and their eggshells can get thinner as they age. I have heard of 8 and 9-year-old hens still laying an egg once in a while. It's really up to you how long you want to keep them.

I wonder if something has happened that has stressed them? Was there a disturbance by a trespassing animal or anything?

Sometimes, too, they can take a while to get back into laying after they're upset or what-have-you. I have a BSL who I think is at least two years old, and she did not lay for about four months after we got her. Within the last few weeks, she has started laying again and is doing great.

I will try to answer all the questions: I am pretty sure they are healthy they look great and happy, if you know what I mean. They may have been spooked we live on a wildlife preserve and I am not always here.
As far as keeping them I have no intentions of tossing them out just because they stopped producing. I like my girls and I will keep them as long as they live, they will always have a home here.
In fact when it is down to only one, I will bring her in the house if that is necessary, not that I want to.
These girls are my pets, they bring me pleasure just being here.
thanks for all your comments, I will still look for eggs in case I get a stray now and again.

I can respect your stance on keeping them. I had a leghorn that I was very fond of, though a raccoon got her recently. Before her untimely demise, I had every intention of keeping her around until she kicked the bucket. I loved her personality.

Good luck with the egg hunt! I wouldn't be surprised if they start laying again at some point
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom