No heat lamp but Mother hen as heat source for chicks?!

Chickenlove62

Hatching
Aug 19, 2019
So my mum decided to raise chicks and two hatched under a mother hen from a flock of chickens that we have to look after for my cousins as they’ve gone on holiday. Two eggs hatched under the mother hen and my mum got 2 extra chicks from the garden centre. We do not have a source of heat for the chicks and I want to know is that bad or is the mother hen enough ? And also, the chicks are constantly tweeting and I can tell they are uncomfortable but every time I try go next to them the mother hen either pecks me or the chicks tweet loudly and get scared. I also end up getting scared because I feel like they’re unhappy but I don’t know what to do!!! Please help!!

hello @Chickenlove62 ! welcome to BYC :frow
so did you put the purchased chicks with the mother hen or are they somewhere else? Are you concerned about the mother hen's own chicks, or the purchased chicks, or both? How can you tell they are uncomfortable?

Well as theyre my cousins chickens they already had a mother hen who hatched two eggs and two were bought. I’m just worried I’m general for all of the chicks because the bought chicks try to get underneath the mother hen but the other two chicks don’t let them

In the voice of the Black warrior chick with a toothpick for a weapon in the movie, 'Conan The Destroyer' - "Grab em'.... TAKE EM'!"

I would start holding the chicks as soon as you can so that they can get accustom to you, if you don't they will grow up to avoid you like the plague!

In the voice of the Black warrior chick with a toothpick for a weapon in the movie, 'Conan The Destroyer' - "Grab em'.... TAKE EM'!"

I would start holding the chicks as soon as you can so that they can get accustom to you, if you don't they will grow up to avoid you like the plague!

:hmm

I am not telling mine you said that. :lau

I didn't handle them and they let me let them.

When I have chicks with a broody hen I just leave them alone, no point in stressing everybody out. There is plenty of time once the mama leaves them to handle them and get them used to people. I never force anything, leave mama and babies alone unless there is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom