No, I don’t have any regrets about eating animals.

There are numerous monkey species that will hunt and kill things. Chimpanzees are well-documented for their cooperative behavior in hunting monkeys. Humans aren't herbivores - lack of fangs and claws does not define that. Octopus and squid have neither, yet they are predators.
And also, just saying that lobbyists are driving the meat agenda doesn’t actually deal with the nutritional facts. It is very tricky to get a balanced diet from plants. People who have a high intake of plant foods also have higher rates of a vast array of diseases. Medical doctors are seeing type two diabetes and many other chronic diseases go into remission by putting patients on meat. A slab of fatty beef literally has all the nutrients a human needs—including vitamin c.

And also, just saying that lobbyists are driving the meat agenda doesn’t actually deal with the nutritional facts. It is very tricky to get a balanced diet from plants. People who have a high intake of plant foods also have higher rates of a vast array of diseases. Medical doctors are seeing type two diabetes and many other chronic diseases go into remission by putting patients on meat. A slab of fatty beef literally has all the nutrients a human needs—including vitamin c.
I'm actually allergic to certain meat and that's why I'm plant based. I have no deficiencies and I get blood tests monthly. I'm very healthy and my Dr has me speak at his support group meetings. I have a very well balanced diet and I get all my protein and minerals/vitamins from plants.

When you eat meat and feel like death then eat plant based and feel like a million bucks... That to me says everything. A human can live plant based. I'm living proof.

I'm actually allergic to certain meat and that's why I'm plant based. I have no deficiencies and I get blood tests monthly. I'm very healthy and my Dr has me speak at his support group meetings. I have a very well balanced diet and I get all my protein and minerals/vitamins from plants.

When you eat meat and feel like death then eat plant based and feel like a million bucks... That to me says everything. A human can live plant based. I'm living proof.
Agreed.

Grow your own is a great idea. I am trying to do that within the confines of my scale. I have only 1/3 acre. I have actually been thinking lately: I wonder if backyard poultry could be a big part of the solution to ecologically unsound meat production. 3 leghorns per person could provide a lot of healthy fat and protein in the form of eggs. That’s 12 birds in the average North American back yard which is very doable.
I truly liked what you just said! This has always been my thought and others would laugh when I'd say it (people I know personally). I've made some watch shows about the meat industry and their jaws drop... It's my reason for growing my families own meat even if I don't eat it. It's a family effort at our house to get the healthiest possible even if they're still eating meat. I cook all my meals to be just like theirs. Tonight we all had plant based Alfredo broccoli noodles with garlic bread. I actually forgot to cook my family's chicken that was supposed to go on it and they didn't even care. they were so excited to try this plant-based alfredo that we found at the grocery store. It made me smile from ear to ear...

It's so doable to make this world a better place for our future generations, but we all have to be willing to put in an effort! whether it's growing your own meat, growing your own vegetables, recycling materials... There's so much that each one of us can do to make this world better.

In consideration of those who may be atheist, agnostic or followers of another faith and to comply with the BYC guidelines regarding 'sensitive' subjects, it would be thoughtful if you confine your religious beliefs to the appropriate threads.
Yikes...I hope I didn't break any rules with my debate. I must say, though, I do feel a little uneasy when some makes a religious statement as I am not religious.

Back in high school I decided to become a vegetarian. I just didn't like the idea of eating the flesh of an animal. This was back before google was a verb and so I didn't really educate myself on balanced diets. I just stopped eating meat but the rest of my diet didn't change. My family didn't really get it but they also didn't try to make me eat meat. About 6 months in and my mom and I where shopping at the mall. We decided to have lunch at Subway. Half way through my sandwich I realized what I had done; what I was eating. I had ordered a BLT. My body was craving protein and bacon was the answer.

The thought of eating the flesh of an animal still pops in my head sometimes. I think now that I have raised and butchered my own meat I have more respect for that animal's life. More than when I was in high school. I guess that's why I eat a lot less meat than the 'average' American. I'll go days without; not because I find it morally wrong but because I know first hand what it takes to get to my plate.

Moral of the story: Bacon is magic.
Yep! Bacon is magic:lau. I stopped eating meat for a month when I was a teenager after seeing my husband shoot a squirrel. But, then I really started craving a hot dog and that was the end of that.

I only object to eating Meat things, if it was I know raised or killed in an inhuman way, or if it was something irresponsible to kill for food. Things like highly indangered species I object to being eaten unless it was a real case of survival. Neither of these are objections against meat eating or live stock in the general Way.

I truly liked what you just said! This has always been my thought and others would laugh when I'd say it (people I know personally). I've made some watch shows about the meat industry and their jaws drop... It's my reason for growing my families own meat even if I don't eat it. It's a family effort at our house to get the healthiest possible even if they're still eating meat. I cook all my meals to be just like theirs. Tonight we all had plant based Alfredo broccoli noodles with garlic bread. I actually forgot to cook my family's chicken that was supposed to go on it and they didn't even care. they were so excited to try this plant-based alfredo that we found at the grocery store. It made me smile from ear to ear...

It's so doable to make this world a better place for our future generations, but we all have to be willing to put in an effort! whether it's growing your own meat, growing your own vegetables, recycling materials... There's so much that each one of us can do to make this world better.

A chicken in every pot and a car in every garage- Herbert Hoover campaign ad in 1928.

I think the desire to have more backyard farmers is wonderful. Unfortunately, 55% of the works 7.5 billion people now live in urban environments. Large scale industrial agro may be abhorrent to many of us, but it has proven to be a cost effective way to feed the masses. To me, just another reason I’m glad I no longer live in the big Apple

This is a really intriguing thread! While we are religious and so don’t beleive that humans evolved, I definitely agree that their diets are optional for each. We can eat omnivorously or both extremes. I agree with @Coopscraft, too, that home-growing (meat and veggies) is a much healthier alternative,
although I get too attached :)
This is an interesting subject to hear people’s opinions on, thanks OP!

I have a hard time with gluten and thankfully meat is naturally gluten free.
Many anti-meat eaters are so hard on all the stuff done to animals that we consume but don't blink an eye at whats done to our plants and grains. Salmonella from poorly handled vegetables is no joke. Added trans fat, nitrates, sugars, preservatives just to name a few things added to our grains and vegetables that many people are sensitive to.
It's unnecessary for people to try and be hard on anyone else for eating or not eating meat because if you want to split hairs you could always turn the table around.
Now, do I feel regret....nope! Maybe just a little that I choose fried chicken over baked, knowing it's not as healthy. Ha,ha, see the irony in that. Sometimes I even offend myself. Ba'hahaha!

Back
Top Bottom