No Nonsense, chickens are livestock, advise. Tell me like it is.

Quote:
I can agree and disagree on this one depending on how one takes it... I will give my $.02 (for what it's worth)

A BAD rooster (to me) does NOT mean a rooster that will "challenge" the flock owner or chase a child.... Roosters are for fertility and protection... If he is challenging or attacking you, he is protecting his girls in the only way he knows how.. WE don't see ourselves as a threat but it only takes one wrong move from us for a rooster to THINK we are.. As for children.. Children and roosters do not go well together, PERIOD! I just shake my head when I see a post saying, "My child was playing in the backyard and I ran out of the house to find my rooster attacking him/her!".. I have a 12 yr old son and he is NEVER allowed in the pens/coops without ME! If he goes in there and gets attacked, it's HIS fault, not the roosters! I feel the same about dogs for very young children..

A BAD rooster is one that takes all the food before the girls can get any... He does not warn them when there is a predator.. He does not PROTECT his flock the way he should...

I had a delaware rooster that I absolutely loved.. He was an absolute sweetheart to me as I hatched him out myself... I ended up giving him to a friend of mine because in my mind, HE was a "bad" rooster... My husband's production red roo on the other hand, he and I have gone round many times before and if I am not on my guard when I enter the run, he WILL attack my leg... I've often joked that hes going to end up in the pot one day... However, he is a GOOD rooster because he is an AWESOME alarm when hawks, dogs or UPS are anywhere NEAR the yard....

Nicely said! A bad rooster is usually a good roster! Just don't let your children around him.
Luckily right now I have the perfect rooster! Takes good care of his flock and eats off my hand...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I can agree and disagree on this one depending on how one takes it... I will give my $.02 (for what it's worth)

A BAD rooster (to me) does NOT mean a rooster that will "challenge" the flock owner or chase a child.... Roosters are for fertility and protection... If he is challenging or attacking you, he is protecting his girls in the only way he knows how.. WE don't see ourselves as a threat but it only takes one wrong move from us for a rooster to THINK we are.. As for children.. Children and roosters do not go well together, PERIOD! I just shake my head when I see a post saying, "My child was playing in the backyard and I ran out of the house to find my rooster attacking him/her!".. I have a 12 yr old son and he is NEVER allowed in the pens/coops without ME! If he goes in there and gets attacked, it's HIS fault, not the roosters! I feel the same about dogs for very young children..

A BAD rooster is one that takes all the food before the girls can get any... He does not warn them when there is a predator.. He does not PROTECT his flock the way he should...

I had a delaware rooster that I absolutely loved.. He was an absolute sweetheart to me as I hatched him out myself... I ended up giving him to a friend of mine because in my mind, HE was a "bad" rooster... My husband's production red roo on the other hand, he and I have gone round many times before and if I am not on my guard when I enter the run, he WILL attack my leg... I've often joked that hes going to end up in the pot one day... However, he is a GOOD rooster because he is an AWESOME alarm when hawks, dogs or UPS are anywhere NEAR the yard....

Nicely said! A bad rooster is usually a good roster! Just don't let your children around him.
Luckily right now I have the perfect rooster! Takes good care of his flock and eats off my hand...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

thumbsup.gif

As for good advise for raising chickens... Raise them 'dirty' and cold, don't use bleach, don't use medicated feed, let their water set for a while before you change it, and for us deep litter and chicken nipples have been an absolute blessing, and would never hesitate to recommend their use.

thumbsup.gif
Except for the chicken nipples, but only because I've never tried them so I can't agree or disagree on their merits.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I think the above comments are very accurate, though I haven't tried the hole digging procedure. (I am currently chickenless, though that will be changing in a few months. Had chickens for 9 years before)

As I have talked to people about our chicken project, they keep asking me when I will get the chickens. I tell them after I have the facilities built, which will be moving forward in March. Then for some reason, many ask "why?" REALLY? In my opinion, it is better to be prepared before getting the chickens, rather than the other way around. We live in an area that tends to get cold. (6000') Rose combs do better here than single combed chickens. Predators are a problem, so we have designed accordingly. Our closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, and we are zoned for "hobby farms".

Also, If I may add to the list of advice and tidbits...:

1. A coop is a protective structure with a roof. A run is a fenced or screened protected area for the chickens to "run". A coop and a run are not the same thing, but are usually used together.
2. Chickens are entertaining. They can learn, but generally speaking have short memories.
3. They usually act on instinct, rather than reason. Don't try to reason with a chicken. The chicken will be entertained by you, and you will go nuts.
4. Sometimes I'd rather face a protective rooster, than a setty hen...........
5. Chickens will chase down and kill mice and small snakes.

A fact I learned the hard way - Chickens will , in very short order , DESTROY your garden
sad.png
.... hahahaha I have several gardens and beds around the property and had to fence them all in before I lost everything.

Back
Top Bottom