No solid poop

Taylermartin

Chirping
Sep 25, 2021
My 5 year old brahma has been having some issues. She will have spurts when her droppings are not solid at all and it causes her to have dirty feathers. I have been told many things it could be: worms, sour crop, intestinal infection. I've tried a Fenbendazole for dewormer and nothing has changed. I found what I thought was worms but was told it was intestinal shedding. I'm trying to help her as much as I can but I'm lost.
20240114_185114.jpg
20240114_185025.jpg
20231020_171449.jpg
20231021_214254.jpg

That almost looks like Ovarian Cancer in chickens. That would be bad news for her.
What are feeding them? Are they free range? Are they eating lots of veggies and eating grass? Is she eating and drinking? Acting normally? Is she drinking a lot?

That almost looks like Ovarian Cancer in chickens. That would be bad news for her.
What are feeding them? Are they free range? Are they eating lots of veggies and eating grass? Is she eating and drinking? Acting normally? Is she drinking a lot?
Since the snow hit they have been in a run. They eat a feed called Gallo Pro. She hasn't been acting normal for a bit. She doesn't run to the food anymore and only drinks a little. She has lost a pound or two of recently. Her crop was full this morning and she didn't have any solid droppings under her, just looks like the white pasty liquid.

Is your Gallo pro a scratch and peck type feed, or is it a complete balanced layer feed? What I found online looks like mixed seeds and grains. They sometimes can pick out their favorite parts of those type feeds, which could result in a deficiency or overeating. I would trim off any poopy feathers or pull off what you can. Do not bathe her if she is feeling weak or lethargic, especially if you cannot bring her in where it is warm and dry her thoroughly. Since her crop was full this am before eating, I would give her a tsp of chilled coconut oil cut into small chunks twice a day. She can also have a stool softener once a day until her crop empties. Massage her crop several times a day. Do not give her seeds or whole grains, but give a watery mash of chicken crumbles and some watery scrambled egg. Recheck her crop each morning.

History of egg binding,
Oviductal prolapse,
Laying abnormal eggs (soft-shelled, shell-less, etc),
Walking with a wider gait,
Abdomen feels like a water balloon.

These are a bunch of the signs.
I hope this helps!

Other things I've noticed the past few days are she has lost a lot of weight and if someone bumps into her she practically falls over. When she is eating she will pick at the food like she really wants it but doesn't actually eat a whole lot. She also frequently shakes her head.

Now that I'm really thinking back of when this all started, it was a few weeks to a month after we did a full week of fermenting our chicken feed.

Other things I've noticed the past few days are she has lost a lot of weight and if someone bumps into her she practically falls over. When she is eating she will pick at the food like she really wants it but doesn't actually eat a whole lot. She also frequently shakes her head.
I think weight loss is one symptom of cancer, but if her crop is not emptying well, or she has a lot of pressure inside her belly from water belly or reproductive disorder, they can lose weight because of that. How is her crop feeling in the mornings? Is it emptying any better? A crop that is not working will cause weight loss due to not getting enough nutrients. Most times we don’t know if they had cancer until we can do a home necropsy or have the state vet do one.

I think weight loss is one symptom of cancer, but if her crop is not emptying well, or she has a lot of pressure inside her belly from water belly or reproductive disorder, they can lose weight because of that. How is her crop feeling in the mornings? Is it emptying any better? A crop that is not working will cause weight loss due to not getting enough nutrients. Most times we don’t know if they had cancer until we can do a home necropsy or have the state vet do one.
I haven't noticed any fluid around her chest her belly. Just very skinny. Her crop at night is slightly filled but it feels mostly like water. She is very slow but moves around ok. She wants to eat and will run for food but obviously not getting much in.

Back
Top Bottom