No Tongue????

BlackIce

Songster
Mar 29, 2018
1) Easter Egger, 1 year old, slightly smaller than the rest
2) She’s always been a weird chicken but I just suspected she just had a bit of a mental disability and accepted her as that
3) She’s been like this since we got her
4) No other chickens that I’ve ever had have been like this
5) What else can I say? She simply has no tongue!!!
6) I have no idea when this could have happened or if she was born this way but we’ve only had her for a few months along with a few other chickens we got her with that are completely normal!
7) Well she eats normal as she usually does but has some troubles. I’ll get to that in the explanation
8) her poop I believe is normal
9) no treatment yet. I just found out an hour ago
10 ) I don’t think I can treat her other than making her life a little easier. No chicken vets here
11)
AFDCA496-20D3-4D91-AC67-379C77F44E6A.jpeg

12) 8x12 coop with fenced in yard. Usually let them free range out of the fence when we’re home. Pine shavings, hay nests, dowel roosts

Alrighty. So this chicken has always been a little... slow but super friendly. She’s smaller than average and for some reason youalways see foodsticking out of her beak and drool all over her. Like I said I always thought she was just a little weird. So today I was feeding them cracked corn from my hand and noticed her beak was a little over grown so went to trim it. I noticed she had corn stuck in her beak and didn’t think much of it until I realized SHE HAS NO TONGUE. NONE. NOTHING THERE. We think we can see a little stub of a tongue waaaaay back in her throat but still WHAT?!!?!? I’m not worried at all that it could be life threatening as her behavior has always been like this and she eats and drinks but I’m just curious. I’m thinking the weird behavior could have been a side effect of malnutrition when she was a chick and that’s why she’s also a bit smaller and acts strange. Could it be a genetic problem??? Did something maybe happen?? Could this cause problems in the future?? HAS ANYONE SEEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS BEFORE????? I just want to know what you guys think of this😂😂

Are you sure those are food particles, and not sores of some sort?
Oh yes I’m sure I was just feeding them cracked corn and at one point I was able to get the corn out near the tip of her beak but I didn’t want to shove my fingers down her throat to move them because she can swallow fine and didn’t want to mess with her too much.

Does her beak smell bad? It looks like pus or canker in her beak. Sometimes hairs or string can get tied around the tongue and swallowed. I would try to see and vet to diagnose the yellow gunk.

Does her beak smell bad? It looks like pus or canker in her beak. Sometimes hairs or string can get tied around the tongue and swallowed. I would try to see and vet to diagnose the yellow gunk.
No smell! The yellow stuff is just corn I promise!! I was feeding them corn when I noticed her beak was slightly overgrown and when we went to trim it we saw she had no tongue!

Can you try to look for any remnant of a hair or a string wrapped around the tongue? This is something that happens occasionally, and the tongue gets swallowed with the ends of the hair or string. If you can locate it (if that is the problem,) then you might be able to snip it.

Can you try to look for any remnant of a hair or a string wrapped around the tongue? This is something that happens occasionally, and the tongue gets swallowed with the ends of the hair or string. If you can locate it (if that is the problem,) then you might be able to snip it.
Yes! I can do that in a minute. I just went out and took more picture that don’t have food in her mouth to show you guys better. When doing so I noticed that she does appear to be pretty skinny... and now I’m starting to get worried. She is eating though!! It’s just a bit difficult for her because food often gets stuck in her beak. Here are some clearer pictures of her mouth. No Sores!! No Infection! It was corn!!
83C6C409-6125-49D6-8720-4F0A4AF277A5.jpeg
6E90D21E-9E8F-4137-A1CC-4A7852AB7556.jpeg

Just took a look and I don’t see a hair or anything. We think we can see a bit of a stub of a tongue way in the back but that’s it. Also her beak doesn’t seem to have any putrid smell in the case of an infection.

Back
Top Bottom