No wing clipping here

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CKNNWBEE, Nov 19, 2012.

1. CKNNWBEE

CKNNWBEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    I can't find anything to say that we NEED to clip the girls' wings. They will never be alone to free range. Do we need to do this? I think of it as unpleasant.

2. Lolachick07

Lolachick07 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Although it doesn't hurt them at all, I think that if you aren't comfortable with doing it, then you really don't have to.[​IMG] and honestly, there isn't really a need for it (imo). I might not clip my girls' wings either

3. lbrtyldy

lbrtyldy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    Certainly don't "need" to clip wings. I don't and don't have any plans to do so. Some of mine do fly out of their pens but I free range anyhow so they're just getting out a little earlier than I plan on letting everyone out.

4. mrcush

mrcush Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2012
    Southeast Michigan
    Although I am also a newby. I got my chickens back in August when they were about 4 months old. They're wings were not clipped and they are fine. I let them free range in my backyard unsupervised (but I'm always home when they are out) and only half my backyard has privicy fence with the other half being chain link. I've seen one of them get about eight foot high but not for long. Could they make it over the fence... sure. But I don't think they are going to run off [​IMG]

5. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    Thank you, glad they're are others.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I don't clip my chickens' wings unless we absolutely have to. I don't like doing it.

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I havent clipped any of my chickens or turkeys wings either and dont plan to. I dont have a fence for them to fly over and they stay in the yard. The turkeys on the other hand I would maybe concider one day as they are really good flyers but for now all is well.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mine are not either, I think it really depends on your circumstances, it doesn't do them any harm to do so but each living situation is different, so one may not need too. My ducks aren't either lol

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If you're going to range them at all, a chicken is faster when trying to escape a predator with wings intact. Of course, they're also faster when trying to escape you... I used to clip my parakeet's wings because I had brothers who would leave the door open behind them and I didn't want her getting too far away. It wasn't a huge deal (once everyone gets used to it). But if you don't need to clip, don't! There are lots of us who never do.

10. CKNNWBEE

Oct 2, 2012
    Ours 'like' me. They have been hand raised and I am feeder. So far they don't fly away from me. But, I do like that if they had regular wings they could manage better in predator situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by