No wing clipping here

CKNNWBEE

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 2, 2012
I can't find anything to say that we NEED to clip the girls' wings. They will never be alone to free range. Do we need to do this? I think of it as unpleasant.

Although it doesn't hurt them at all, I think that if you aren't comfortable with doing it, then you really don't have to.
smile.png
and honestly, there isn't really a need for it (imo). I might not clip my girls' wings either

Certainly don't "need" to clip wings. I don't and don't have any plans to do so. Some of mine do fly out of their pens but I free range anyhow so they're just getting out a little earlier than I plan on letting everyone out.

Although I am also a newby. I got my chickens back in August when they were about 4 months old. They're wings were not clipped and they are fine. I let them free range in my backyard unsupervised (but I'm always home when they are out) and only half my backyard has privicy fence with the other half being chain link. I've seen one of them get about eight foot high but not for long. Could they make it over the fence... sure. But I don't think they are going to run off
wink.png

I don't clip my chickens' wings unless we absolutely have to. I don't like doing it.

I havent clipped any of my chickens or turkeys wings either and dont plan to. I dont have a fence for them to fly over and they stay in the yard. The turkeys on the other hand I would maybe concider one day as they are really good flyers but for now all is well.

Mine are not either, I think it really depends on your circumstances, it doesn't do them any harm to do so but each living situation is different, so one may not need too. My ducks aren't either lol

If you're going to range them at all, a chicken is faster when trying to escape a predator with wings intact. Of course, they're also faster when trying to escape you... I used to clip my parakeet's wings because I had brothers who would leave the door open behind them and I didn't want her getting too far away. It wasn't a huge deal (once everyone gets used to it). But if you don't need to clip, don't! There are lots of us who never do.

Ours 'like' me. They have been hand raised and I am feeder. So far they don't fly away from me. But, I do like that if they had regular wings they could manage better in predator situation.

Back
Top Bottom