non-broody fowl keepers

While I have a duck eager to go broody....on unfertilised eggs! UGH!
I bet she'd make a fabulous mum too.
Totally got to get her some eggs someday :)
I mean, just imagine my sweet little Dougie, running along laughing about her mischief, followed by a line of tiny baby ductators.... what a sight.
With sprightly teaching them How to surf on moms back 😂

Well, I have broodies, but the results are never good!

Luna the Magpie went broody almost immediately this Spring, in the Muscovy coop! Couldn't do it in her own, in the nesting box she used last year to hatch out three ducklings, noooooooooo! Went in to candle them the other day while she was out for a bath, and ALL 12 were blanks. So I pulled them and blocked off the nesting box and am making sure she stays in her own coop at night! Not that I'm expecting any babies from them as my drakes all seem more interested in the Muscovy hens than their own species!

Then there's the banty Cochin, who decided to make a nest under last year's dead Christmas tree. Discovered it completely by accident earlier this week. Pulled the eggs but she goes back there every day to lay. I can't have her sitting them there, too many predators. And I don't want to put them in the coop's nest boxes, because one of the chickens is an egg eater!!!

Last year, I had three Muscovy go broody, and ALL their eggs were blank. And after I pulled the eggs and shoo'd them out, they never lay another one the whole summer...

Now, I *have* seen the 'scovies breeding (with actual Muscovy drakes, not just my 'regular' duck drakes), and there are eggs being laid, so hopefully this year... No one is sitting them yet, though.

Well, I have broodies, but the results are never good!

Luna the Magpie went broody almost immediately this Spring, in the Muscovy coop! Couldn't do it in her own, in the nesting box she used last year to hatch out three ducklings, noooooooooo! Went in to candle them the other day while she was out for a bath, and ALL 12 were blanks. So I pulled them and blocked off the nesting box and am making sure she stays in her own coop at night! Not that I'm expecting any babies from them as my drakes all seem more interested in the Muscovy hens than their own species!

Then there's the banty Cochin, who decided to make a nest under last year's dead Christmas tree. Discovered it completely by accident earlier this week. Pulled the eggs but she goes back there every day to lay. I can't have her sitting them there, too many predators. And I don't want to put them in the coop's nest boxes, because one of the chickens is an egg eater!!!

Last year, I had three Muscovy go broody, and ALL their eggs were blank. And after I pulled the eggs and shoo'd them out, they never lay another one the whole summer...

Now, I *have* seen the 'scovies breeding (with actual Muscovy drakes, not just my 'regular' duck drakes), and there are eggs being laid, so hopefully this year... No one is sitting them yet, though.

Hope you have better luck with your broodies actually hatching any chicks :hugs

So - what do your nests look like? Although I know a friend where they brood on a shelf. Maybe it doesn't make a difference.

I don't know about the others, but personally I drew some tips from a BYC article for my latest nest design. I used two cardboard boxes (for each nest) bottom box was filled halfway with dirt, and topped off with straw. Then I attached the second box on top and opened a whole for them to get in, also placed some more straw
20230417_142437.jpg

So - what do your nests look like? Although I know a friend where they brood on a shelf. Maybe it doesn't make a difference.
I use storage bins with a hole cut in the narrow side for access. BIG ones for the Muscovy.

I don't know about the others, but personally I drew some tips from a BYC article for my latest nest design. I used two cardboard boxes (for each nest) bottom box was filled halfway with dirt, and topped off with straw. Then I attached the second box on top and opened a whole for them to get in, also placed some more strawView attachment 3477116
Those would disintegrate so fast in my climate! :lau

Back
Top Bottom