non-broody fowl keepers

Pics
I started following cause I have the opposite issue, I don't want broodies ... I live in a residential area (no roos) & I wouldn't know what to do with the cockerels that hatch. So that makes "hatchery" chicks my only choice, avoiding the broody breeds and that really limits my choices. Love Orpingtons & Wyandottes, until I had 5 go broody on me at the same time & didn't have enough Broody Jails to accommodate.

I followed the SiAM thread & those that started breeding ...Tried getting eggs to hatch way back then but distance stopped me as they were basically on the East Coast. https://www.facebook.com/groups/515708545196274

I started following cause I have the opposite issue, I don't want broodies ... I live in a residential area (no roos) & I wouldn't know what to do with the cockerels that hatch. So that makes "hatchery" chicks my only choice, avoiding the broody breeds and that really limits my choices. Love Orpingtons & Wyandottes, until I had 5 go broody on me at the same time & didn't have enough Broody Jails to accommodate.

I followed the SiAM thread & those that started breeding ...Tried getting eggs to hatch way back then but distance stopped me as they were basically on the East Coast. https://www.facebook.com/groups/515708545196274

Welcome :wee ! Hope you get less broodies as time goes on. If you'd like, we can exchange non-broody for broody energies with each other, after 11 years I've got a lot of non-broodiness stored. Can't blame you for wanting some of those Ameraucanas, they're gorgeous birds. Just like you though, I'll most likely never have the chance to keep some, or other rare and interesting breeds

My Serama hen Cookie is sitting on 4 eggs that are due in like 2 weeks. I candled them on day 2 and couldn't see anything but I think it was too early to tell. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures when they hatch (if they hatch)

Right now one of my young one year old Marans hens is very broody which is surprising because she is young and they are not a super broody breed but im not sure if I will let her sit on eggs or not.

My Serama hen Cookie is sitting on 4 eggs that are due in like 2 weeks. I candled them on day 2 and couldn't see anything but I think it was too early to tell. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures when they hatch (if they hatch)
Candle at 7 days/veins ... again at 14 days/dark mass but may see movement ... last at 18 days/dark mass and it's lockdown

I really want one of my quail to go broody next breeding season. Incubating and brooding baby quail is So. Hard. I'd rather let them do the work for me. Unfortunately it'll likely be wishful thinking :(
When I start breeding my chickens again I'd actually like to broody raise as many babies as I can. Which could mean I won't get many broody hens :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom