non-broody fowl keepers

Pics
Mine are only a year old but I had a gen that spent the summer “going broody,” just to abandon the eggs. She would gather all the eggs, go broody for about 2 weeks and then just shift to the next nesting box over. she would shift faster if she saw me gather eggs. it’s like she was incensed over me taking her eggs.

I finally hatched a couple in the incubator and it turns out she is definitely not the Mom, which might be why she kept giving up.

Mine are only a year old but I had a gen that spent the summer “going broody,” just to abandon the eggs. She would gather all the eggs, go broody for about 2 weeks and then just shift to the next nesting box over. she would shift faster if she saw me gather eggs. it’s like she was incensed over me taking her eggs.

I finally hatched a couple in the incubator and it turns out she is definitely not the Mom, which might be why she kept giving up.

I don't think most hens understand which eggs are theirs and which are not. The only exception is gamefowl, and more specifically aseel and aseel-types. But I might be wrong and it could be an all chicken breed thing. We'd have to check with someone who has had a broody before😅

I don't think most hens understand which eggs are theirs and which are not. The only exception is gamefowl, and more specifically aseel and aseel-types. But I might be wrong and it could be an all chicken breed thing. We'd have to check with someone who has had a broody before😅
I would agree as I have heard many broody hens hatching different breeds and species. You just have to laugh at the situation. I had so much hope every time, only for her to abandon nest every time! But I have hope that maybe she will get it next year! I am in the cycle of hope, nope, repeat! 😂

Bright side though, I was never short eggs, until the chickens molted.

Back
Top Bottom