Normal amount of eggs?

We have 5 hens (2 EEs, 1 Welsummer, 1 silver laced Wyandotte and a Speckled Sussex. We can get anywhere from one to four eggs a day but average 2 - 3. They are all 3 years old but one of the EEs laid eggs straight through winter year before last and hasn't given us any since.

For optimal production I rotate at least 1/2 of my flock each year. Year 1 I start the total number I want.....one year later I start at least 1/2 that number.....as year one birds are about to molt, year 2 birds start to lay.....1/2 of year 1 is cycled out.....year 2 birds lay through winter, year 1 birds may or may not wait for spring to restart. Lather, rinse, repeat.....the first two cycles are the most productive, so I get the benefit of that

Awesome system, thank you!

So after my post yesterday, the hen that hasn't laid an egg since June 8, left me a present this morning. 20190705_103114_resized.jpg . :love. The brown egg on the left. GC

Old Grey Mare, when you "cycle out" some hens, do you butcher them and eat them?
The old layers I have had experienced are so light weight there isn't enough meat on them to bother with. Just all feathers. These have been Easter eggers and production reds, not the old heritage /dual purpose hens.

Old Grey Mare, when you "cycle out" some hens, do you butcher them and eat them?
The old layers I have had experienced are so light weight there isn't enough meat on them to bother with. Just all feathers. These have been Easter eggers and production reds, not the old heritage /dual purpose hens.
Currently, no, as I currently have no trouble selling 18 and 30 month old layers locally. I am not opposed to processing....would help feed my pets, make good broth, etc, but at the ages I cycle out there is still plenty of useful time left in them

Currently, no, as I currently have no trouble selling 18 and 30 month old layers locally. I am not opposed to processing....would help feed my pets, make good broth, etc, but at the ages I cycle out there is still plenty of useful time left in them
Yes, I might be able to process them for dog feed, but I have a bit of a finicky side and don't think I could butcher them, then eat them. I may try just selling some of mine before they slow down too much. The last time I waited till they weren't laying much at all, and I just gave them away.

when you "cycle out" some hens, do you butcher them and eat them?
I eat the older hens I cycle out(2-3yos).
Depends on breed but they have enough meat to make a few meals,
I get more broth tho, and it is fantastic broth!
Let cleaned carcass rest for 2-4 days, then pressure cook for an hour, strip all meat, then cook everything else for another couple hours for a gelatinous bone broth.

Back
Top Bottom