Normal amount of eggs?

alwaysb

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2019
Western Washington
I have 5 laying hens (3 Easter Eggers and 2 Buff Orpingtons) that are 3 years old, and a Blue Australorp that is a year old and we're getting 1-2 eggs per day during spring and summer now. Does this sound normal? This is my second flock and I feel like our first flock we were always drowning in eggs during this time of year. They were on 16% feed and I've tried 17% as well with no difference. I do have to use soy free feed (for health reasons for my family) which I didn't when we had our first flock, I'm wondering if that's what's up? I've also tried adding black oil sunflower seeds, and fermenting their food. We have a limit in town on how many hens we can have otherwise I'd just add to our numbers

stop adding egg shell call it old school lady here give them eggs shell can encourage egg eating no do not think that is what you facing I would not think the lack of soy would be an issue but you said your getting one egg day does it seem to be the same bird each day
how big is the coop and run please

stop adding egg shell call it old school lady here give them eggs shell can encourage egg eating
Not true....at all.

I have 5 laying hens (3 Easter Eggers and 2 Buff Orpingtons) that are 3 years old, and a Blue Australorp that is a year old and we're getting 1-2 eggs per day during spring and summer now.
Some older birds will slow down after the spring flush of eggs.
We have just passed the summer solstice and they can detect that ever so slight change in length of days(if you're in the northern hemisphere).
I'd go easy on anything but their regular layer ration so they get all the vitamins, minerals, animo acids needed to produce.

So Welcome to BYC! @alwaysb
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-7-4_8-26-45.png

You are not alone. I have 3 Golden Comets, 39 months old. One retired from laying at 24 months. Another hasn't laid since June 8. About 3 months ago she quit laying for 10 days, then laid daily for a week quit for 2 weeks laid another week straight.
She kept up that schedule until last month.
What's amazing is the third hen has been laying 5 to 7 eggs a week since her last winter molt.
20181104_162519.jpg . The amazing girl is closest. The girl on the right retired over a year ago.
Here is a common chart showing the average decrease in eggs as they age. 20190704_091057.jpg . I have 6 new pullets in their prime, here's 3 behind my amazing girl. 20190702_193840.jpg . GC

Might be time to cycle out the older birds and bring in some younger ones. Of my 3 year old hens, only one is laying regularly right now. Another laid steadily in early spring and then went into an early molt and hasn't resumed laying, and the third laid a couple on her own schedule but hasn't laid in months (she was never a great layer though).

Not true....at all.

Some older birds will slow down after the spring flush of eggs.
We have just passed the summer solstice and they can detect that ever so slight change in length of days(if you're in the northern hemisphere).
I'd go easy on anything but their regular layer ration so they get all the vitamins, minerals, animo acids needed to produce.

So Welcome to BYC! @alwaysb
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1834334

Apparently I didn't click 'save changes' when I changed my location when I signed up lol, oops . I'm in Western Washington in the United States. My hens have been giving me a low-no egg count for the last year or so. I did supplement light during the winter starting in January this year (we were really missing having eggs) and they've been laying consistently 1-3 per day since then.

Might be time to cycle out the older birds and bring in some younger ones. Of my 3 year old hens, only one is laying regularly right now. Another laid steadily in early spring and then went into an early molt and hasn't resumed laying, and the third laid a couple on her own schedule but hasn't laid in months (she was never a great layer though).

I think you're probably right. I'm trying to remember back to my first flock and I think we retired them (a friend of a friend took them to their acreage) when they were 3.

I think you're probably right. I'm trying to remember back to my first flock and I think we retired them (a friend of a friend took them to their acreage) when they were 3.
For optimal production I rotate at least 1/2 of my flock each year. Year 1 I start the total number I want.....one year later I start at least 1/2 that number.....as year one birds are about to molt, year 2 birds start to lay.....1/2 of year 1 is cycled out.....year 2 birds lay through winter, year 1 birds may or may not wait for spring to restart. Lather, rinse, repeat.....the first two cycles are the most productive, so I get the benefit of that

Back
Top Bottom