Normal rooster feet? Im so clueless

Bumblefoot is usually the result of overweight or else large fowls flying down from the roost and landing on hard or ungiving surfaces. Bumblefoot is more common in roosters because of this. Don't fret about scaly leg mites a once weekly application of Vaseline for two weeks will handle the problem. But treating the entire flock as one is the better option because it significantly delays reinfestation.

Unfortunately this bad boy may lose a toe or two (especially on his right foot) so prepare yourself if this happens.

QUOTE: I would think the cheapest solution is "swim noodles" for the wire they roost on.

Please do not put swim noodles any where near your birds. They will eat them which could result in a crop or bowel impaction.
Ok, no swim noodles! I did think it was a clever idea, though. Thank you for stopping me from creating another crisis that I wouldn't know how to handle! :)

Sooooooo, I found a veterinarian and we have an appointment on Wednesday morning. Thank you again, everyone, for all the help. I'll continue with the Epsom baths, Vetricyn, Mytricin, neosporin (without pain reliever), high protein diet, extra electrolytes, and maybe an Ativan or two for myself....LOL

Hope the vet visit goes well! Hang in there- I'm sure it feels like a ton of work at the moment, but those chickens are lucky to have such a dedicated human! :hugs

They may want to debride the feet, or have you continue what you are doing at home if that is helping. Keep in mind that some vets who are not really familiar with chickens, may advocate putting them down for many common treatable conditions. Not saying that is what may happen, but just think about what your choices are.

QUOTE: I would think the cheapest solution is "swim noodles" for the wire they roost on.

Please do not put swim noodles any where near your birds. They will eat them which could result in a crop or bowel impaction.
Mine will shred them from time to time(for entertainment) but they don't appear to eat them. Just like digging out the soil from our planters. Sure I wouldn't recommend them for unintelligent breeds.

Thank you everyone for all the support, nudges, advice and "just checking" messages that I have gotten. The verdict is: Scaly mites AND Frostbite. And yes, my dear Red is in the process of losing his foot. It had completely atrophied and he even had some gangrene that has now added a daily routine of coddling him like an infat while squirting antibiotics down his throat. And Im waiting on the next does of Ivomectin from the ChickenVet.
But he does not seem unhappy. He is back with his flock (and it was a VERY happy reunion) and he is faring well. He eats, plays with his toys, and still tries to rape my hens LOL.
Hes so beautiful and so sweet, so I will keep him happy as long as I can. Thank you all again for everything.

Back
Top Bottom