North Carolina

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ruachicken1, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Country Chickens

Country Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Orange County, NC
    We have guineas--blonde, purple, ivory, lavender and of course pied, pearl and white. We're adding chocolate this summer, but those won't be laying til late this year or next spring. Just now the egg production is spotty (and I'm being kind) and most the eggs in the incubator are presold as keets, but after the girls get up and running solidly we should have a nice variety of eggs. We are in N. Durham/Hillsborough area. Send me a pm if you like and I'll let you know when eggs are ready. We charge $6/keet but eggs would be lower.

Best of luck!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I will be snooping at the Fayetteville flock swap come mid morning and I will be trying to stop and snoop at the Sanford one first thing in the morning, but they are having theirs the same time as the one in Fayetteville. Normally they hold on different weekends [​IMG]

3. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, I sent you a PM.

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG I want runners SO bad! But I hardly ever go that way unless its to WCA!!!! [​IMG]

5. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    [​IMG] to the new folks

Ally.... glad you are enjoying the hens. How are the runners.... scared to death I am sure. They will warm up to the other ducks, just takes some time.

I will be at the Fay. flock swap. I will have eggs & chicks and not sure what else. I will update Friday. Kinda stinks that both flock swaps are the same day. [​IMG]

6. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    You should have said something.... [​IMG] Ally took 2 hens and I took a bunch to the auction yesterday !!

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL I forgot you had runners :/ If I had seen where you were taking them to auction I'd have been all some runner eggs from you. I want ducklings to start with, they bond better.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Beth did you sell all your runners? I am still waiting for one of my girls to claim the eggs in the nest in the chicken coop. So far i think only 1 of my Muscovies is laying.

9. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I kept 5. The Silver Drake [​IMG] 2 black hens, 1 silver hen & 1 crested fawn & white hen. [​IMG]
    I will be getting fencing end of this week, I hope...... to start separating the breeds out.
    Runners
    Magpie (1 pair)
    and the Muscovy

10. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    [​IMG] #%&#$*( #$ A$%( *A#$& *(A$ A#$(* Y#$* (#$& [​IMG]
    Trust me you don't want me to translate that!!!

Sugar got killed late yesterday. She was Mom's red pyle OEB hen. Someone moved a block and she got into a part of the yard with no fencing. I assumed a hawk, but now I know what it was. ANOTHER dog from the neighbor above us just attacked Flexy, a mixed bantam hen. I was sitting here reading emails when I saw the dog walking up the road. It suddenly turned and ran for the fence. I knew someone had to be out fo the main yard and in the open side part. I took off and grabbed my Ruger on the way out the door. I got out in the yard just in time to see the dog walking up the fence line with a black chicken in his mouth. I fired fast and he dropped her. I abviously missed cause he turned and chased her down again. I had to husle because there is a stack of wood in my line of site. I got around at a good angle and took about a second to aim and fire. I still don't know if I hit the **** thing, but he dropped her and took off running. I shot again as he ran up the fence line and around the house. I had to drive up to a neighbor on the hill to get Dad to help me catch Flexy. She had ran in a culvert at the lower neighbor's driveway. With his help and a couple 10' PVC pipes tied together we got her out of there and she took off under trees at a further neighbor's house. Took several minutes, but we finally managed to get the panicked and badly injured girl.

She has a tear on her back down through the fat, but the muscle looked to be intact. The big problem is that the skin is torn lose down her entire side. Mom was a CNA and will look and see if Flexy can be stitched, but Mom won't be home till 9pm. I hoping if we can get the skin/wound stitched on her back that it will reattached to her side. If not poor Flexy will have to be put down. [​IMG]

Flexy is my girl. She will be 7 years old at the end of May. Right now Flexy is in the Hosipital(medium sized carrier) on the kitchen table. It is quiet in there and she can rest.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by