North Carolina

Quote:
I SAW THAT TOO!
lol.png

Was thinking about calling them. I was thinking none would hatch, because they obviously got rough handling being shipped and weren't packed very well AT ALL....But now I dunno. Temp and Humidity have stayed rock solid...so if they don't I know it wasn't anything *I* did.

Ruthann -

I saw this today and if I hadn't already gotten my hands on a free coop I definately would have scooped this up -

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/2253898352.html

It's an 8x8 shed for $150! Sounds like it would be great to convert into a nice coop. Then hubby would just have to build a run and make a few modifications! Your plans where amazing, but with a little creative thinking you could do it much cheaper! We are going the cheap route for sure!

Good luck!

fl.gif

Lisa

Thank you everyone for your support...it means a LOT!!
hugs.gif
I have been hunting down "free" items on craigs list as well as looking over his list of materials that he gave me before he left. I am going to drive out to Habitat Restore to see what their prices are like. I already have a list of prices from the local hardware stores (lowes/home depot). I am hoping that if I put forth all the leg work to find the best deals that he will see that it's not as bad as he's thinking. I did remind him (gently of course) that he was the one determined to build it BIG to start off. I suggested a smaller coop to start off with - one that has the potential to expand in the future should we decide to. We'll see. Right now I think it's the hardware cloth pricing that has him a bit scared (especially since our run will be approximately 200 sq ft...I suggested a smaller run (as well) since we plan to free range, but he wanted to be sure they had plenty of room. To make matters worse...I received my Meyer Hatchery catalogue in the mail (not that we'd order from them...minimum order is 25 chicks...WAAAYY too many to start out with...don't want husband overloaded any more than he already is!!) Regardless, I am staying positive and have been supportive of him today as he "thinks and ponders" what he wants to do. (I also looked into shed prices to suggest converting a shed into a coop, but he's the type that always wants to build with his own hands...) Thank you again for all of your support!!
hugs.gif

Hmm....I can't remember who was looking for ducks...but Meyer's Hatchery had fawn runners...I thought one of you all were looking for fawn ducks.
lau.gif
I will admit, seeing a White Crested Polish chicken with its "hat" ... that cracked me up.
lau.gif

Here
80837_polish_frizzle_bantam_white.jpg

Tell me you can look at it without giggling a little at its "hat"...
gig.gif

Edited to say THANK YOU Lisa!! I will forward it to my husband and see what he thinks!! THANK YOU!!

Last edited:
It's frizzled too!
droolin.gif

I LOVE polish, and I want about 800.
gig.gif
REALLY trying to be good though, because I've already added 4 runner's to my Holderreads order, so I'm up to 16 ducklings coming sometime before May.

The first coop I built, was freecycled except for screws, hinges, hardware cloth and the fencing. Pallets are great free wood, but shipping crates have plywood! If you can find a mover like Allied movers, they usually have them in excess. Dad and I, decked our boat all from a single trip to a freight yard, we disassembled crates and took what we needed! I am all about freecycling!!!!

Em - I thought this one looked quite regal with the "frizzed hair"!! Still...it made me smile!!

Green - great idea, thank you!! Not too familiar with the area (did I mention we're new to NC?? Only been here since Oct) so I'll have to see if I can find a big moving company (and some friends with a truck...some how my husband's focus or my suv with a carseat just won't cut it...
gig.gif
)

All - I have been stalking CL like mad today. Even had to do some research to figure out what it meant by board feet...someone was selling lumber for $1 a board foot. Math...not my forte!!
lau.gif
I have also been stalking "freecycle.org" because they have a Clayton chapter & a Wake County chapter where people post (like CL) things they'd like someone to have...it's ALL free.

I refuse to lose hope!! Besides, someone is holding on to a few Orps for me, and I just HAVE to have them!!
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom