North Carolina

QUESTION: So we THOUGHT we had a broody duck, but it turns out that she was either testing the waters or booted out of the nest for it seems one of our chickens decided to go broody and is now in the nest (with all of the duck eggs). The problem is there are NO chicken eggs in this nest, there are only duck eggs. The eggs have been "warm" the past few days (as well as buried) so we thought the ducks were taking turns sitting on them. Anyway, would you all recommend we take the duck eggs (8 of them) from this mama and substitute them with some chicken eggs, or just let her continue to sit on the ducks? CAN chickens hatch duck eggs? I have NO idea how long she's been sitting on them, or if it would even work, which is why I am asking my "seasoned" BYC'ers!! Thank you in advance!!

Angela, I agree with Meg - don't give up on the eggs... I had a broody get off eggs for a day when it was still cool, she got back on the wrong nest, and she ended up hatching 4/6. I am sure they were cold for 5-7 hours. You just never know.

Sharon, Here's hoping today is better!

I checked the outage map there are small outages all around me, all with "assessing damage" noted - I do believe that means "we'll get to you when we get to you". Guess I will go outside and get some things done. I don't need power to weed the garden!

Catch up:
frow.gif

Happy Birthday Moores.

Best layer IMO: Golden Comets (red sex links) Huge light brown eggs pretty much everyday.

Also lost power yesterday for just over 7 hours. Lost quite a few eggs in the hatcher. I will candle the one incubating later. I had 19 hour power outage last year....I was surprised how many chicks made it.
fl.gif
for all out chicks.

Off to a busy day...have a great day everyone.

Just caught up on the 41 posts from yesterday! Love all of the conversation!

We weathered the storm well, boy did it blow up in a HURRY! We were out of power for a couple of hours.
hugs.gif
for those of you still waiting! At least it isn't nearly as hot & humid today as it was yesterday!

We were so busy yesterday, our girls didn't get to free range at all. I can't wait to ge thome and free them for a couple of hours. Everyone was fine in the coops and today is our last Teacher Work Day.

I am excited to drag my hubs to venture to the Hwy. 301 sale tonight or tomorrow - let me know if you find anything good!

Happy Belated Birthday, Moores6, and Meg - such good news on your dad and you!
celebrate.gif

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

Just caught up on the 41 posts from yesterday! Love all of the conversation!

We weathered the storm well, boy did it blow up in a HURRY! We were out of power for a couple of hours.
hugs.gif
for those of you still waiting! At least it isn't nearly as hot & humid today as it was yesterday!

We were so busy yesterday, our girls didn't get to free range at all. I can't wait to ge thome and free them for a couple of hours. Everyone was fine in the coops and today is our last Teacher Work Day.

I am excited to drag my hubs to venture to the Hwy. 301 sale tonight or tomorrow - let me know if you find anything good!

Happy Belated Birthday, Moores6, and Meg - such good news on your dad and you!
celebrate.gif

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!
That storm was nasty we had it yesterday morning! :D some of the chickens almost got flooded out but everyone is ok! :D

Back
Top Bottom