North Carolina

Good morning folks
frow.gif

why is it the longer the week goes on the more
tired I get? I really don't get to sleep in all that
much on the weekend but by Monday I'm not as
tired and I've done as much work over the weekend
as I do during the week........hmmmmmmm.
idunno.gif

hope everyone has a g day
wee.gif
It's because your not dealing with over 60+ hormonal teens for 2 days and you start the weekend off with some great coffee and friends.
love.gif

I tried fodder for the same reasons, I had a lot of trouble keeping it from getting moldy.(even in the house, running some bleach over it once a day.) Also I used just a bird seed mix. I am going to try again next month with some wheat. I have been letting my Chickens out for a little while everyday if I have time to sit outside with them. I forgot that I let them out the other day and when I realized they were still out my rooster was inspecting the road! Anybody have chain link fence they want to donate! The goal is to fence the whole yard and let them have it all as a run.

When you ferment grains, you get two different products depending on how long you ferment it. The first product will be lactic acid from our lovely probiotic organisms such as lactobacillus and bacillus subtilis etc. This makes some bubbles and a sour, yougurty smell. If you leave this too long, the lactic acid producing bacteria will essentially produce so much lactic acid that they raise the pH too high for them to live. It is at this point that you create the perfect conditions for alcohol producing yeast to start flourishing and producing alcohol.

The lactic acid stage is a nice fermented feed. The alcohol stage is a nice sourdough starter. I make my own sourdough starter from fresh, organic wheat, barley or rye. Grains grown out in the open will be naturally bathed in windborne wild yeast. I grind the grains in my Kitchenaid grain mill attachment and I put them in a container with some pineapple juice which actually has the perfect pH to hasten the killing off of lactobacillus and to promote the growth of yeast which will let my bread rise. If you have gluten issues or if you just want to stop paying so much for yeast that was made with who knows what kind of grains and processes, this is the way to go.

But I digress. My point is that you CAN make drunk chickens but only if you ferment for too long.
Really? everything I have read says the opposite.

Ok question. This is my first batch of chicks under a broody hen. I introduced the 3 Maran chicks last night. She pecked them, but I was finally able to slip them under her. This morning I went down and she pecked them again, but then was letting them eat in amongst her and the chicks she hatched. I am going to keep an eye on them today, but I am not sure if she is going to take them. How long should I give them and when should I take them away and put them in the brooder? I don't want her to hurt them or them get chilled because she won't let them under her. I think if I take the 3 away, I will probably just put them all in the brooder and let her keep the one egg that isn't due to hatch til next week.

BHep-- How do you grow wheat? Like in a field and keep re-planting it all year? I would love to grow wheat, but have no idea where to start or how to get seeds.

DST-- Charlotte is a good 3hrs from me
sad.png

Lindz-- CUTE chicks!!!! I've never had a broody hen so take my words with a grain of salt, but I would think if she's letting them eat with the other chicks that she has accepted them? I've heard of other people adding chicks and the mama hen murdering them right away. So if they're still alive, I think it would be a good sign? But what do I know...

I tried fodder for the same reasons, I had a lot of trouble keeping it from getting moldy.(even in the house, running some bleach over it once a day.) Also I used just a bird seed mix. I am going to try again next month with some wheat. I have been letting my Chickens out for a little while everyday if I have time to sit outside with them. I forgot that I let them out the other day and when I realized they were still out my rooster was inspecting the road! Anybody have chain link fence they want to donate! The goal is to fence the whole yard and let them have it all as a run.
You need better drainage.

Good afternoon everyone! The FR are growing well and starting to really feather out. I have one that I do believe will either be completely white or 80% white as the feathers from beneath the head/neck are all white.
big_smile.png
I will try to take a photo, but for some reason they still view me as the EVIL monster who just feeds them. LOL. We are doing well with the FF - LOVING the fact that I am not having to water the little guys/girls 4 times a day!! Anyone know how soon you can start sexing FR? Mine are only 3 weeks old, but I see the development of a comb on a few of them...didn't know if that was a sign I'd have a few roosters on my hands or not. Anyone have any experience with Freedom Rangers that can help?
Today is Thursday...it means we're one step closer to the weekend!! I hope you all enjoy your day!

Hi everyone! Long time no talk. After the move...everything has sucked. I still can't find a job. And we are officially living in the RV at my parents now. Great. I swear I would rather live in the woods. DH stays gone because its like everything we do somebody has something to say about it. BAH HUM BUG! I'm so freakin ready to get away from here. One another note!!!! My chickens...7 and 8 months now are still not giving me any eggs. Urgh! It's so frustrating. I give them a mixture of things to eat. Grain corn scratch vegetables and fruit and the occasional treat of leftover bread but get real! Why aren't they laying yet? :( hope everyone is well and doin great! Missed u guys! Lol

I could tell for sure at about 4 weeks.
I tried to tail feather sex them as day old chicks when they arrived to keep 12 girls and get rid of the rest & I ended up with 2 roo's so that was fairly close.
By 2-3 weeks I was sure 2 were roo's a couple more were questionable, but by 4 weeks you should be able to tell for sure.
Mine are either 7 weeks or 8 weeks yesterday I know they hatched on a wed in late july, but torn between 2 which it was.
The roosters are "crowing", but not very well or loud. Just enough so you know they are boys!
Can't wait to see pics of what yours look like!
I love our one rooster, I am going to have a really hard time with him.
Live weight right now mine are 5-6lbs.

Back
Top Bottom