North Carolina

Hello to all my other chicken people!!! Now I got a question for all of you chicken people inside city limits. My friend is really into chickens and really wants to try and get her neighborhood to allow her to have some chickens. She would buy some chicks from me and everything, but doesn't really know how to get them allowed. Have you had any of you had these problems and if so how did you figure them out. Since we are out of city limits I don't know much about the restrictions and need help figuring it out for them. They are dying to get some chickens in their yard. I need your help to get them help. Haha

Ah this is why I love being outside city limits. NO RULES ON CHICKENS!!!!

Or goats... or horses, or dogs, or cats, or guinea pigs, or mules, or anything else we happen to have!

Give her this thread to read:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-laws-and-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

My Spitz
.OH....Everyone know why the chicken crossed the road ...right?
To prove to the possum that it could be done..

Good morning folks
frow.gif

The grandbabies found one of those pretty saddleback
caterpillars in the yard yesterday.
barnie.gif
They are just as dangerous
as they are pretty. Fortunately they had been educated about
them and came to us to let us know they found one. Dang
things are in the Fayetteville area........time to educate the
kids more and decide how to address these being in the
yard/play area of the kids.
caf.gif

hope everyone has a good day
pop.gif

Good morning folks
frow.gif

caterpillars
in the yard yesterday.
barnie.gif
caf.gif

pop.gif
CSB - I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'll chalk it up to my post-pregnancy amnesia....what is a saddleback caterpillar?? I'm afraid to google it...every time I google something I end up getting side tracked and end up diagnosing myself with some rare incurable malady! LOL

Good morning everyone!! Spent these past few mornings out in the garden weeding and in the house baking/cooking. Poor hubby was so disappointed to learn that while I made cookies, they were not for him. LOL Yay lactation cookies!! Our meaties are getting to be a nice solid size - it's nice to have the non-meat birds in there with them for comparison too!! WHEN should I start leaving the heat lamp off at night? It's been rather chilly these past few nights and well...I think that is why we lost one - it looked like it was "trampled".
Getting our garden ready for the winter planting...attempting to sow some oats to be ready in the spring...it'll be a nice treat for the girls IF it works. LOL. They have enjoyed the fencing being down and following me around as I pull weeds. The ducks fight over snails, I hide the frogs/toads as well as turtles and worms, but allow them all the caterpillars and creepy things they can eat! I found a black widow while weeding. Never before have I been SO thankful I insisted on leather gardening gloves, for it walked right across my hand. I also resisted the urge to SCREAM like the sissy city girl that I am, but had to stay strong - I didn't want to scar my girls!! LOL. Still, I haven't been back into the garden since...LOL, I am waiting for my hubby to take care of it! I saw the lovely hourglass right as I was yanking some weeds and about died when it fell atop my gloved hand. Thankfully she wasn't angry enough with me for disturbing her, for she just skirted across my hand and darted under one of our logs!! Still, I think a part of me DIED!!
I cannot wait until November...my birthday present is going to be an incubator (and a meat slicer, but we all know which one is more important)!! I am dreaming about cute fuzzy butts!! I NEED to replace my favorite cochins and maybe add in a new variety here and there....I mean we ARE building another addition onto the coop this coming spring...so there's plenty of time to incubate, right?!? Am I going down a dangerous path?!?

Good morning folks
frow.gif

caterpillars in the yard yesterday.
barnie.gif
caf.gif

pop.gif
Pretty? Maybe...pretty creepy.
sickbyc.gif
Can chickens eat them? Or are they poisonous?

DST-- Where do you live? Chicken ordinances vary all over. In city limits in Fayetteville you are allowed 10 fowl of any sort, including roosters. But there are communities within the city that have an HOA which can trump the city laws.

From what I've seen, NC seems to be pretty lax on allowing chickens, which is great. Where I come from in Maryland it is fairly rural, but you're not allowed to have a single chicken unless you have more than an acre of land. But in the actual city of Baltimore (not the county) you are allowed up to 4 hens with no limits (city is all old row houses) so the people way out in the county on 3/4 of an acre are all mad about this and have been lobbying for a change for several years unsuccesfully.

When I first got into chickens I was told several different things about the rules for Fayetteville city limits (mainly being no roosters allowed) so I called the main number for the city and was transfered over to zoning and they told me exactly what I needed to do, so I would try there. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom