North Carolina

If it's ventilated, you really don't need to heat it as long as they are properly protected from the elements.
Birds are cold blooded so they don't need to be heated like mammals.
Now if you want them to keep laying through the winter, you will probably need a light source.

[COLOR=800080]CSB - I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'll chalk it up to my post-pregnancy amnesia....what is a saddleback caterpillar??  I'm afraid to google it...every time I google something I end up getting side tracked and end up diagnosing myself with some rare incurable malady!  LOL[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800080]Good morning everyone!!  Spent these past few mornings out in the garden weeding and in the house baking/cooking.  Poor hubby was so disappointed to learn that while I made cookies, they were not for him.  LOL Yay lactation cookies!!  Our meaties are getting to be a nice solid size - it's nice to have the non-meat birds in there with them for comparison too!!  WHEN should I start leaving the heat lamp off at night?  It's been rather chilly these past few nights and well...I think that is why we lost one - it looked like it was "trampled".[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800080]Getting our garden ready for the winter planting...attempting to sow some oats to be ready in the spring...it'll be a nice treat for the girls IF it works.  LOL.  They have enjoyed the fencing being down and following me around as I pull weeds.  The ducks fight over snails, I hide the frogs/toads as well as turtles and worms, but allow them all the caterpillars and creepy things they can eat!  I found a black widow while weeding.  Never before have I been SO thankful I insisted on leather gardening gloves, for it walked right across my hand.  I also resisted the urge to SCREAM like the sissy city girl that I am, but had to stay strong - I didn't want to scar my girls!!  LOL.  Still, I haven't been back into the garden since...LOL, I am waiting for my hubby to take care of it!  I saw the lovely hourglass right as I was yanking some weeds and about died when it fell atop my gloved hand.  Thankfully she wasn't angry enough with me for disturbing her, for she just skirted across my hand and darted under one of our logs!!  Still, I think a part of me DIED!![/COLOR]
[COLOR=800080]  I cannot wait until November...my birthday present is going to be an incubator (and a meat slicer, but we all know which one is more important)!!  I am dreaming about cute fuzzy butts!!  I NEED to replace my favorite cochins and maybe add in a new variety here and there....I mean we ARE building another addition onto the coop this coming spring...so there's plenty of time to incubate, right?!? Am I going down a dangerous path?!?[/COLOR]

This what saddleback looks like

The hairs contain venom and cause swelling pain rash and can cause nausea. Always remove hairs as they can spread the venom further.

Seriously considering the cattle panels idea. Would like to have a nice big solid fenced area as well though for when we're out for the day or something. Still need to come up with the rest of their goodies too (feeder/waterer, treats, collars, toys, leads (to get them to and from the barn every day), treats, toys.... You said you were planning on breeding for a March delivery right? What are you charging for the kids, and would you be willing to sell the mama/kid pair? We weren't planning on getting goats till spring anyway so that would be ideal for us.
The cattle panels work great! Depending on how many you have....a simple 10x10 dog pen works great. Buckets work great for food and water. I use a hay bag for my girl's hay so there is less waste. Goat collars run $2.99 each at Tractor Supply. I don't have any toys for mine....I'm a bad momma. LOL

Kids run $75-175 depending on sex, color, etc. My girls normally have at LEAST 2 kids each. I'm not sure which does I'm keeping but will make that decision in the spring. Let me know when you are getting ready and we will get you some goats.

What brown egg layers do you have? Any already laying birds? Do you have any goats available? We are wanting more little Nigerian Dwarfs. Ours are sooooooo sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!

This is Sid! (Reminds me of Sid the sloth from Ice Age)

Holly (Left), Sid (Right)

Could you PM with what you have available and where you are located?! It might have been a bad coincident that I have found someone who has both goats AND chickens!!! Oh and what exactly are blue sex-links? I've heard of red and black sex-links but never blue. Sounds interesting. Blue chickens and splash are my favorite colored chickens! Except for my little Japanese buff black tails, they are so pretty.
Right now I have barred rock pullet chicks, a few EE pullet chicks, and some mystery brown egg layer pullet chicks. I'm thinking Speckled Sussex but I'm not sure.

I have 1-2 White Bresse hens that are laying or POL. They are for sale.

What cuties you have! Right now all I have available for goats are a few 8 month old wethers. They are very friendly. I'm hoping to have a doe kid out in the next month or so. After that, it will be spring before I have more kids.

Blue sex links are very unique and they come in various shades of blue. They lay large brown eggs regularly.

Please PM me on FB....I'm on there a lot more. :)

https://www.facebook.com/NewDawnHomestead

This will be my first winter with my chickens.  Can anyone advise me on heating my coop or not?  I live in Hickory NC

I live in the mountains and don't use heat and keep top part of my windows open for good air flow, They can take the cold as long as out of drafts.

If it's ventilated, you really don't need to heat it as long as they are properly protected from the elements.
Now if you want them to keep laying through the winter, you will probably need a light source.

Yes yes and yes. We have never used supplemental light during the winter. Ours kept laying pretty well because I boosted their protein. The extra kick seemed to help, fwiw.

You will notice they will eat more- they need to do that to lay down the extra fat layer for the colder temps.

Ummmm...chickens (like all birds) are warm blooded, not cold blooded. In fact, chickens are often used as a supplemental heat for greenhouses in winter, as are rabbits. But as long as they have shelter without drafts, they do well. If you are over in the colder mountains, you may want to Vaseline your rooster combs to help keep them from frostbite, though.

Last edited:
X2 Hollow. Chickens tend to do very well with the NC winters....even in the mountains but they are def not cold-blooded.

Personally I wouldn't add any heat to the coop. Make sure that you have plenty of ventilation and they have plenty of food. I feed later in the evening in the winter so they go to bed with full crops. This year ill be better about Vaseline for themes under 25. I didn't last year and one of my roosters lost part of the tips of his comb. This can affect fertility. Take care of your roosters. Lol

This what saddleback looks like

The hairs contain venom and cause swelling pain rash and can cause nausea. Always remove hairs as they can spread the venom further.
EWE...Thank you. That does ring a bell now that I've seen the photo...LOL, perhaps it was last summer that we talked about them?!? Wow, I can't remember a thing anymore. Thank you again!!

X2 Hollow. Chickens tend to do very well with the NC winters....even in the mountains but they are def not cold-blooded.

Personally I wouldn't add any heat to the coop. Make sure that you have plenty of ventilation and they have plenty of food. I feed later in the evening in the winter so they go to bed with full crops. This year ill be better about Vaseline for themes under 25. I didn't last year and one of my roosters lost part of the tips of his comb. This can affect fertility. Take care of your roosters. Lol
NEVER knew that. Thank you. Do you put the Vaseline on their combs for protection?

Meat Bird HELP: I MUST be doing something wrong, any advice?!? This past week, I have lost 2 Freedom Rangers to "SCD" - I am not sure what is going on, but I suspect that with the cooler temperatures at night, these little ones are getting trampled to death? I have a heat lamp on them (they're not fully feathered out yet I don't think, 4 weeks as of yesterday) at night but it still frustrating. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?? Very bummed!!
hit.gif

EWE...Thank you. That does ring a bell now that I've seen the photo...LOL, perhaps it was last summer that we talked about them?!? Wow, I can't remember a thing anymore. Thank you again!!

NEVER knew that. Thank you. Do you put the Vaseline on their combs for protection?

Meat Bird HELP: I MUST be doing something wrong, any advice?!? This past week, I have lost 2 Freedom Rangers to "SCD" - I am not sure what is going on, but I suspect that with the cooler temperatures at night, these little ones are getting trampled to death? I have a heat lamp on them (they're not fully feathered out yet I don't think, 4 weeks as of yesterday) at night but it still frustrating. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?? Very bummed!!
hit.gif

You might need two heat lamps (set up in different areas) so no one gets squished.

Matt had play "teacher" either early this spring or last year with the saddle back, the only reason I had ever seen one.

Back
Top Bottom