North Carolina

Hey guys I need help!!!

I know some of you keep rabbits and after a google search I couldn't find anything.
My rabbit has this thing on his back that looks like an exploded cyst. In all my years of rabbits I have never seen anything like it! It's just the one (checked both). The vet's not open today, have to try to make an appointment tomorrow.

He is acting completely healthy... Eating, Drinking, Running, Playing, Destroying my fall garden.... but obviously this isn't normal. I caught him and have him in his little hutch (we he isn't happy about). What can I do? Neosporin (the one looks like it's past that!)? Anyone even seen anything like this before???

We had them in a little hutch and they hated it. So we moved them in with the chickens and they kept digging out. Then we put them in my original coop/run that was advertised as a coop/hutch for either, and they kept getting out. They seemed much happier living under the shed running around the yard as they pleased. They always have fresh food & water & the hutch door open if they want to go in. Every week or 2 we round them up (a daunting task) to check them, see if they need their nails cut, etc. which is how we found this disgusting thing. It looks like there was some pus. It kinda smells too. I'm really scared for him....

Sorry for graphic pic....

Quote:
Hey guys I need help!!!

I know some of you keep rabbits and after a google search I couldn't find anything.
My rabbit has this thing on his back that looks like an exploded cyst. In all my years of rabbits I have never seen anything like it! It's just the one (checked both). The vet's not open today, have to try to make an appointment tomorrow.

He is acting completely healthy... Eating, Drinking, Running, Playing, Destroying my fall garden.... but obviously this isn't normal. I caught him and have him in his little hutch (we he isn't happy about). What can I do? Neosporin (the one looks like it's past that!)? Anyone even seen anything like this before???

We had them in a little hutch and they hated it. So we moved them in with the chickens and they kept digging out. Then we put them in my original coop/run that was advertised as a coop/hutch for either, and they kept getting out. They seemed much happier living under the shed running around the yard as they pleased. They always have fresh food & water & the hutch door open if they want to go in. Every week or 2 we round them up (a daunting task) to check them, see if they need their nails cut, etc. which is how we found this disgusting thing. It looks like there was some pus. It kinda smells too. I'm really scared for him....
DB, looks like an abscess to me. Vet should definitely be consulted. When my cat had one, it required surgery to clean out and a drain tube to ensure the infection would drain. If you have any antibiotics on hand you might want to start them today.

Iceman contrats on the new babies!

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes! Have a great day!

Last edited:
All I have is tylan, can you use that on bunnies?

I've been looking up abscesses and it's saying they're the most common thing in rabbits. I've never had a rabbit with them before. Also says they continue to keep coming back and keep needing surgery. I hope that's not the case, we can't really be paying a vet bill for surgery every month on a pet bunny....

I'm having a hard time finding the Lee County chicken ordinances. It looks like a couple years ago it was no chickens but I've read a few articles about then trying to change it. Anyone know these rules now? Sanford/Broadway area.

Thanks

Hey guys I need help!!! I know some of you keep rabbits and after a google search I couldn't find anything. My rabbit has this thing on his back that looks like an exploded cyst. In all my years of rabbits I have never seen anything like it! It's just the one (checked both). The vet's not open today, have to try to make an appointment tomorrow. He is acting completely healthy... Eating, Drinking, Running, Playing, Destroying my fall garden.... but obviously this isn't normal. I caught him and have him in his little hutch (we he isn't happy about). What can I do? Neosporin (the one looks like it's past that!)? Anyone even seen anything like this before??? We had them in a little hutch and they hated it. So we moved them in with the chickens and they kept digging out. Then we put them in my original coop/run that was advertised as a coop/hutch for either, and they kept getting out. They seemed much happier living under the shed running around the yard as they pleased. They always have fresh food & water & the hutch door open if they want to go in. Every week or 2 we round them up (a daunting task) to check them, see if they need their nails cut, etc. which is how we found this disgusting thing. It looks like there was some pus. It kinda smells too. I'm really scared for him.... Sorry for graphic pic....
Dutchbunny, look up cuterebra...botfly larvae, better known as a "wolf". That's what it looks like to me, although the parasite may be gone. If so, the resulting abscess actually heals pretty easily. You'd treat it the same as a regular one. But, you'll want to look up what the earlier stages look like so it doesn't get to that point. The earlier stages can slip by easily.

I now have a bird-free house! Yay!

Until the next hatch! Three more hatches to go, including eggs that go in this evening. Then I'm done for the winter. Yes, I am, too!

My Welsummer eggs have 100% developing. Crossing all my crossables for 100%hatch, too! The special EEs I'm making are more like 60% developing on the first batch, but I started collecting the day after the rooster went in, so I'm hoping that is all on those. I'm putting more in today. I have a lovely Silver Sussex cockerel over black and blue Ameraucanas. Should make some pretty EEs!

Hollow-- YES! I think that's what it is! Is there a way to get rid of the parasites from the property to keep them from getting it??? According to Medi Rabbit they say they don't come from excremement or poor conditions, but the flys lay the larva by the entrance to the burrow or hutch. Maybe bleach the ground?
Your EE sound awesome!!! If you sell hatching eggs or pullets of them, I'd be very interested!!!
Thank you so much for your help.

Chelsie-- Call Harnett County tomorrow morning they can give you the most up to date policy. Remember, where you buy your house may have HOA's or neighborhood limitations to poultry which will trump the county rules. Also, your city can also have limitations which will overrule county rules. Example-- A lot of people here are from Fayetteville and can have unlimited birds. I am also from Fayetteville but because my house technically falls within city limits (even though we're out almost in Raeford) I can have 10 poultry livestock total of any kind. I can keep roosters, but I have more than 10 with my meat birds and turkeys so choosing not to keep them as to not annoy my neighbors and bring attention to this. Here is the # for Harnett County (910) 893-7530

Last edited:
Dutchbunny, when the parasite can fly from one property to the next...and they also affect squirrels...chances are you can't do much about them. I haven't researched it, though.

After I grow out this first batch of EEs to see what I get, I'll let you know. I'd like to get some blue birchens out of those blue Ameraucanas.

Hollow, you are one smart lady!!!!
That is EXACTLY what it was!

After cleaning out what was left from it with a hydrogen peroxide solution wash and putting on some neosporin and wrapping it with gause we did a through check of his whole body. He is an angora mix and its getting cold so it's really hard to get down to his skin. We were able to find 2 spots that looked like the early onset of what you said it was. Sure enough we opened it up and actually pulled the worm looking thing out of each one (thankfully my husband is home, I don't don't have a stomach strong enough for farm life haha). We have those all cleaned out and bandaged up and have him all set up in the hutch. His brother (we checked this morning and no wounds, but want to check again more thuroughly for an early sign) is sleeping under the shed, he should be out at dinner time and we will catch him. Checked both guinea pigs and they don't have it either, so guess they were just bothering the one.

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Back
Top Bottom