Hope everyone had a good New Years eve. Looks like
we are in for cold weather soon. I think I'll inventory the
winter gear and make a trip into town to replace any worn
or missing items. I also need to pick up a brisket for dinner
droolin.gif

hope everyone has a good day
clap.gif

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Thanks for all the well-wishes on the upcoming baby! Mary, yes, we'll get to be grandmas at the same time, or thereabouts! How cool! I was excited for you, and now I get to join the fun.

Amy asked what I was knitting first. I told her I have to sew a baby quilt first. I haven't quilted in a while, so she was happily surprised. Then I need to weave some baby blankets. And then see about knitting things. Maybe a chicken. :)

We have spent today doing tiny chores with no pressure. Just whatever calls us. I have gotten one side of my kitchen uncluttered and better organized. Add a few loads of laundry and I think I'm done for the day!

Those of you who are sick, please get well soon!

Happy new year everyone! Ok so I have been getting two eggs from Laverne, my Plymouth barred rock and Patti, my buff Orpington. Maxine, my aracauna,(Easter egger) has stopped laying eggs. She has not laid an egg since October and she won't let me pet her. She was born in April 2013 like the other two birds. Is this normal for that breed? When she laid eggs, I could pet her. Now she gets mad when I touch her. Any ideas?

Same exact thing has happened to 3 out of 5 in my flock. They stopped laying in OCTOBER, then Molted and now with the short days still not laying any eggs. I'm so sad they are not friends with me any longer! I do know a laying hen is much nicer; so maybe when the days get longer and they start laying again, they will want to be my friends again. Fingers crossed. lol

Maybe I'm odd but I count myself lucky when the birds don't want to be my friends
idunno.gif
The few who insist on being friends, tend to get in the way. But I don't want man fighters either.

None of my buff orpingtons or easter eggers (all very mature) are laying - or have layed since October >:O My cochins have recently started and I'm getting the occasional egg from my FBCM and my RIR/SFH cross. I've been bribing them with special breakfasts, decorating their coops, visiting with them.....nothing is working :(

None of my buff orpingtons or easter eggers (all very mature) are laying - or have layed since October >:O My cochins have recently started and I'm getting the occasional egg from my FBCM and my RIR/SFH cross. I've been bribing them with special breakfasts, decorating their coops, visiting with them.....nothing is working :(hav

Celeste, I went through the same thing with my girls. I've got 39 hens and got down to just 7-9 eggs per day! I was not sure if it was my feeding methods or what. Yesterday, I got 23 eggs!! I have not gotten that many in months. They have been slowly doing better but I'm happy if I get around 16/day on most days.

All I've done is added their millet treats in the evenings. I have also cut back on the fermented grain I've given them in the afternoon so they have to eat more of the laying pellets. Not sure if that has made a difference or not.

I do know that many of them went through a molt and that has been going on for a few months. With this frigid weather coming, I'm wondering if they will slack off laying again in order to stay warm.... They do have some supplemental heat to use if they wish and some seem to enjoy it more than others.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom