North Carolina

Ramirez I had a lot going on this time last year, and a storm that come through damaged one section of my pens, so I stopped breeding when I had everyone mixed together. That made things even more stressful and decided it was best for me and the birds to take a break. I sold my show and breeding silkies to a few good breeders, and dispersed (gave) the rest of my birds (pet silkies, my brahmas and my layers) to a few friends.
I've since moved, got a new job (that keeps me away from all the fun stuff like auctions and visiting people
hit.gif
) and re-settled... So now contemplating getting back into my original passion breed - d'uccles. But on a very small scale.

Boyfriend is trying to talk me into ducks since the neighbors have a large pond, and don't care if we have ducks use it (as long as we share eggs - lol ) so not sure what we're gonna do just yet. Kinda enjoying just having dogs and cats - glad I didn't have chickens to tend to in this crazy winter thats for sure!

Oh what a day! Boys being boys tackling each other getting off the bus, & I've spent the past 4 hours at Cape Fear hospital getting my son's chin stitched up!

Pretty birds, doublea. Didn't actually want to make them just never heard of them.

To all the new folks, (hey where did all my smiley faces & saying things go that used to be on the top????) Welcome to BYC!

Both kids back in school tomorrow, can't wait!!!

When's this next flock swap in Cedar Creek, beginning of March? I'll need to get rid of about 23 Polish top hats & ten 6 week old ducks.....

Last edited:
Oh what a day! Boys being boys tackling each other getting off the bus, & I've spent the past 4 hours at Cape Fear hospital getting my son's chin stitched up!

Pretty birds, doublea. Didn't actually want to make them just never heard of them.

To all the new folks, (hey where did all my smiley faces & saying things go that used to be on the top????) Welcome to BYC!

Both kids back in school tomorrow, can't wait!!!

When's this next flock swap in Cedar Creek, beginning of March? I'll need to get rid of about 23 Polish top hats & ten 6 week old ducks.....
Cedar Creek is the first Saturday of each month but honestly
TSC on Raeford Rd is closer to you and last I heard they was
holding theirs every other Saturday so they may have one before
Cedar Creek and sales would be about the same. Good luck.

Ramirez I had a lot going on this time last year, and a storm that come through damaged one section of my pens, so I stopped breeding when I had everyone mixed together. That made things even more stressful and decided it was best for me and the birds to take a break. I sold my show and breeding silkies to a few good breeders, and dispersed (gave) the rest of my birds (pet silkies, my brahmas and my layers) to a few friends.
I've since moved, got a new job (that keeps me away from all the fun stuff like auctions and visiting people
hit.gif
) and re-settled... So now contemplating getting back into my original passion breed - d'uccles. But on a very small scale.

Boyfriend is trying to talk me into ducks since the neighbors have a large pond, and don't care if we have ducks use it (as long as we share eggs - lol ) so not sure what we're gonna do just yet. Kinda enjoying just having dogs and cats - glad I didn't have chickens to tend to in this crazy winter thats for sure!
Be aware......my daughter kept getting duckllings....because they had a pond. Kept losing them one by one.....found out it was turtles !! Found out that there were some big ones in that pond and all they were doing was providing their food! Broke their hearts!

Congrats on the new tractor!

Hubby met his goal of having the roof on the chickenhouse before he leaves tomorrow. He's tired and sore, though. I'd feel sorry for him, but working all day without taking a water break is foolish...and a recipe for a trip to the ER! He's lucky he didn't get one of those.

Now we have to get windows and hunt up the guy that sells rough cut lumber. And overlay the fences. It'll be a while yet, but it's coming along!

Good morning folks
frow.gif

I can tell it's the early stages of spring......we are all
getting the urges set up breeding groups, reconstruct
pens and coops, and who can resist cuddling a fuzzy
.......and the hens are no different......some are going
broody already......and then there is the green tips
of flowering bulbs peeking through to confirm it all
love.gif

hope everyone has a good day
pop.gif

CSB, and I saw birds carrying twigs for nest building, so it's not just the domestic fowl getting the urge!

Until I see tent caterpillars though, I won't believe it's spring!

Cedar Creek is the first Saturday of each month but honestly
TSC on Raeford Rd is closer to you and last I heard they was
holding theirs every other Saturday so they may have one before
Cedar Creek and sales would be about the same. Good luck.

Raeford TSC is definitely closer, only like 5 min from my house, but it's terrible!
I've never gone to sell, just always seem to be there getting feed since I run my errands Saturday morning.
There is next to no customers and always the same 4 vendors-- one selling eggs & crafts, one selling soap & bunnies, an the same 2 older guys every week one selling random livestock, and the other selling chickens in little battery cages with missing feathers, bleeding combs, sawed off spurs on the roosters. I won't even let my kids go over by his birds anymore, I get too upset. I know last Fall they kept having people called on them from reports of animal neglect & selling sick animals. I think they just started up again for Spring. I don't know if it's gotten better this Spring, but from the sounds of the Cedar Creek, it would be worth the hour drive to get there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom