North Carolina

Oh sorry I should have explained better...

I had bought a bunch of chicks from feed stores and breeders over the last few week's. And I had 1 egg out under two broody hens that were sharing the egg. I really didn't expect it to hatch and when I left for work I heard it chirping, that's when I ran out and found it. So the chick I found today mybhens hatched but it was the only chick. I brought it in the house and put it in the brooder with my other chicks for a couple of reasons.

#1 I did not have a floor nesting box only raised ones and I didn't want the chick to fall

#2 I have a guard pig in with my chickens to keep the critters out and didn't know what the pig would do to a baby chick while I was at work and could supervise

#3 I have 3 rooster in my coop currently and didn't want them to hurt the chick

#4 I was late for work and didn't have time to set up a temporary pen and move the mama and baby.

* I should have been more prepared I guess but at least I found her and she is safe and warm in the brooder!

I can imagine what the pig would have done with it. my roosters hate baby chicks

Yes in a rush to work and an unexpected but very welcome surprise tinzy this morning I had all kinds of negative thoughts quickly shooting thru my head so I decided the safest bet was to put the chick I, the brooder. I felt bad for mamas but in the rush of the morn I g I thought that was the best bet. Like I said I should have been more prepared but the mamas were always up and down and shareing the nest and the other hens were always laying there eggs in the nest too I rely didn't expect the egg to hatch but it did and I'm in love with the little one.

Yes in a rush to work and an unexpected but very welcome surprise tinzy this morning I had all kinds of negative thoughts quickly shooting thru my head so I decided the safest bet was to put the chick I, the brooder. I felt bad for mamas but in the rush of the morn I g I thought that was the best bet. Like I said I should have been more prepared but the mamas were always up and down and shareing the nest and the other hens were always laying there eggs in the nest too I rely didn't expect the egg to hatch but it did and I'm in love with the little one.

What a wonderful surprise! I'm so glad for you and it sounds like you absolutely did the best thing. Congrats!

So I went out to feed this morning and everyone was fine, nothi,g out the ordinary,then I left for work a few hours later and when I walked out the door I heard chirp, chirp, chirp coming from my coop. I thought odd I don't have s,y chicks out here, they are all inside the house in the brooder...???
So I ran over to the coop and found this...

One cute little fuzz ball!
Her mama is a green egg laying EE. Her dad a splash blue laced red wyandotte!

Here is mama

Here is dad

I'm praying I have a little pullet! I'm ex tied to see how she turns out and what color egg she will lay.... I'm thinking olive...

Its cute! Looks like it took the Wyandotte characteristics.

What a wonderful surprise! I'm so glad for you and it sounds like you absolutely did the best thing. Congrats!

Thanks! I was hoping I made the right call.

So I went out to feed this morning and everyone was fine, nothi,g out the ordinary,then I left for work a few hours later and when I walked out the door I heard chirp, chirp, chirp coming from my coop. I thought odd I don't have s,y chicks out here, they are all inside the house in the brooder...??? So I ran over to the coop and found this... One cute little fuzz ball! Her mama is a green egg laying EE. Her dad a splash blue laced red wyandotte! Here is mama Here is dad I'm praying I have a little pullet! I'm ex tied to see how she turns out and what color egg she will lay.... I'm thinking olive...
Its cute! Looks like it took the Wyandotte characteristics.
Thanks! I hope so I love the lacing look, I hope she gets some lacing and I hope it's a pullet and lays me some olive eggs!

Good morning folks
frow.gif

I guess Mother Nature needs to water the lawn today. I just
hope it's not too much water so not too much mud. This rain
along with the warm weather is going to have everything in
full blast mode to grow..........going to be a very pretty spring.
love.gif

hope everyone has a good day
pop.gif

I found me some new hens (3 of them) the catch.. I had to also take the 2 roosters... Which was fine with me because the neighbors dog got my new Blond rooster!!
1f621.png
2 roosters he killed in the past week!!
"The dog is gone now" so hopefully they will be safe from now on. I found hawk's nest... 2 chicken Hawks
1f633.png
.. Hopefully my dog will keep them away!! I am excited, today I'm getting some babies..
1f603.png

1f423.png
..Americaunas..
1f423.png

I don't know how many I will get yet, I want enough to be able to cull out the roosters and still have enough hens to keep. I haven't raised baby chicks before but my mother in law says she has a book for me that explains everything I need to do. So, I know I can do it just nee to know everything to do.

I find that the advance notice I've had for the last two days was not just a tease. I am, in fact, sick. I have a lovely scratchy throat and chest, plus a cough. It hurts to talk. I have four classes to get through today. Three right in a row this afternoon.

Somebody just shoot me.

I find that the advance notice I've had for the last two days was not just a tease. I am, in fact, sick. I have a lovely scratchy throat and chest, plus a cough. It hurts to talk. I have four classes to get through today. Three right in a row this afternoon.

Somebody just shoot me.
NO Shooting the Teacher! I will hug you from a distance
hugs.gif

Hope you get better fast!!
Scott

Back
Top Bottom