North Idaho / Eastern Washington

@Saris
 I am curious how you know that they are cockerels.  I don't see mini combs?  Do you sex them at day olds?  Or are you going off of color? I would love to know how to do that.  I have some Silver Ameraucanas that I wish I knew what the heck they were.

I know from the way they feather in. The genders have different juvie feathering. Your silvers should show a black breast on the males and a salmon colored breast on the females.

Last edited:
I know from the way they feather in. The genders have different juvie feathering. Your silvers should show a black breast on the males and a salmon colored breast on the females.
Well... one is turning a bit salmony and one is whitish and one is sort of both. lol
These pictures were taken on June 20th so they have changed a bit. I would have said I have two pullets and one cockerel in here but as they have feathered out more I am not sure.

That is amazingly fast to start laying.  They are pretty birds.  Do they to be caged or do they get a pen?  My nephew is allergic to everything and I have heard that they can be eaten by people who are allergic to chicken eggs.  I have been interested them but the Mr. says "No no no." lol  Sometimes life is a compromise and there is always next Spring.

Quail, especially coturnix, are very quick to mature. We put ours in an aviary with a net top. They have to be penned with a roof to keep them in as quail can jump very high in the air. I have no idea on the allergy thing, as I have not done any checking into it. They are my husband's favorite birds, because they are so calm and they sound very cute.

@firedragon1982I just got home from vacation. You can get him whenever you like. I get home from work by 5 and will most likely be home Friday morning. PM me. We can set up a time. They are 4 weeks old. I believe that the other cockerel is the chick with the brown head and grayish body. :)

You are so right... we do live in God's country. I say that every single day, that i am so blessed to live here. I havent been above Sandpoint, ID. i would love the do the same mini road trip you di. i really want to see the glaciers. i also would love to see the east coast from NY to Canada, oh & Canada too, oh and, and, and...
i bet you had a great time.

My DH and I hunt the Bonners Ferry area. It's beautiful up there.
We just got home from a fishing trip on the ocean. We caught some salmon and bottom fish, but it's good to be home. Ha.... a man caught a 32 pound Chinook in CdA lake. Tell me why we drove 1100 miles to catch a 10 pound chinook?? Crazy.

@CyndiD after 5 would be a great time to call. If she came from a hatchery 4 is pretty old. Hatcheries breed for production, not longevity. She could be eggbound or have worms or something. Check her for lice or mites and to check her weight.
Hi i cked her butt, just some poop on feathers.. BUT i found some bloody poops around property and then cked my Australorp rooster and he has a bloody butt. i am on my way to north 40 to get some corid.
so can i call you tomorrow? thanks

@firedragon1982
Here are some pics of the boy.

Well... one is turning a bit salmony and one is whitish and one is sort of both. lol
These pictures were taken on June 20th so they have changed a bit. I would have said I have two pullets and one cockerel in here but as they have feathered out more I am not sure.
Those ones are too little to tell. You should see the colored feathers coming in by about 6 weeks.

Hi i cked her butt, just some poop on feathers.. BUT i found some bloody poops around property and then cked my Australorp rooster and he has a bloody butt. i am on my way to north 40 to get some corid.
so can i call you tomorrow? thanks
Sure, tomorrow is fine, or later this evening works too. I hope the corid helps.

Back
Top Bottom