North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Sounds like fun! I have a long list of good, reputable, breeders for all types of dogs... if you give me a day I can get a good list together for you. Are you open to other breeds, as long as they can be outside?

I am somewhat open, but I do not want Huskys, Shepherds, Cattle dogs, terriers, etc and I want a pup that will mature to at least 70 lbs, as out local coyote pack head honcho is a coy-dog most likely and looks to be 40-50 lbs.

Good idea. I ment to ask are you NPIP certified?

No I am not. It would not matter. They do not test for Marek's. It is not part of the program in Idaho, they only test for salmonella pullorum/ typhoid with the option to test for Avian Influenza. Some states also include MG and MS in their programs. I was planning on getting my certification and probably will in the future to be able to sell hatching eggs. This is not transferred to the egg and I woulf use specific sanitary procedures to prevent the spread.

Hi,
I'm a dane person, myself, but if you are sure you don't wan't another, then you might try English Mastiffs. They were originally guardian dogs and there is a good breeder outside Kettle Falls, north of Colville in northeastern Washington. I'm pretty sure you can contact them by getting in touch with any mastiff web site or the Kettle Falls Chamber.. Hope this gives you another option for a great type of puppy pretty close to home.
I was just up in your neck of the woods about two weeks ago! I love it up there with the trees and rivers. All we've got is our irrigated desert and corn.
wink.png

So I have a silkie whom I am thinking of being a house chicken named Unlucky...

Last week I found him in the duck wading pool in the "give up" status. Meaning he was just laying there not trying to get out and shivering... Brought him in, dried him w/ hair dryer until he warmed up, then put him in a box in the house under a heat lamp for a couple of days until he was up and around again.

Went out last night, he was tangled in the fence around the duck enclosure (moveable, energizeable fence) by one foot. Got him untangled, and he wasn't bending his leg for a while, so back in the house he goes, hoping he didn't dislocate something. So he is back in his box (sans Heat lamp this time since he wasn't wet/chilled). Poor thing.

So I have a silkie whom I am thinking of being a house chicken named Unlucky...

Last week I found him in the duck wading pool in the "give up" status. Meaning he was just laying there not trying to get out and shivering... Brought him in, dried him w/ hair dryer until he warmed up, then put him in a box in the house under a heat lamp for a couple of days until he was up and around again.

Went out last night, he was tangled in the fence around the duck enclosure (moveable, energizeable fence) by one foot. Got him untangled, and he wasn't bending his leg for a while, so back in the house he goes, hoping he didn't dislocate something. So he is back in his box (sans Heat lamp this time since he wasn't wet/chilled). Poor thing.
Maybe Unlucky wants to be a Ducky, all of his mishaps involve duck areas.

Good article! Something to try while I am fighting this. I have started calling my brooder/ grow out coop the "coop of death"

I will get the hubby to build me a new coop on the other side of the house for babies up to 5 months old. I have decided to do very small hatches to have enough room for this.
Keep us posted on how that works out. It might be a good idea to keep a journal about it if you find some things help better than others. Maybe some mechanics coveralls, a hair net, and booties to be worn to help keep the dander from your grown chickens from spreading to the younger ones.

Updated pics of the Serama pair. Either the chocolate is not a Serama or it isn't a very good representation of the breed thus far. It is more than twice the size, still and does not have the posture. You can't tell in the pictures of the second chick, but it has decent posture, which I feel will improve with age. It just refused to stand up straight, as I woke it from a nap. Based on feathering, the smaller one is a pullet and the other a cockerel.

My coop got hit by something I've got 5 dead chicks, 7 living chicks and 2 missing chicks......

hit.gif

Last edited:
No I am not. It would not matter. They do not test for Marek's. It is not part of the program in Idaho, they only test for salmonella pullorum/ typhoid with the option to test for Avian Influenza. Some states also include MG and MS in their programs. I was planning on getting my certification and probably will in the future to be able to sell hatching eggs. This is not transferred to the egg and I woulf use specific sanitary procedures to prevent the spread.

I know you are getting advice from everyone. It would be a good idea to take care of your young birds before the older. That way you are clean. And try to keep a pair of shoes(new) just for going into the new coop. Good luck, I know it's hard to watch them die. I went thru a disease in my flock last year. But I only had 8 hens - 4 sick and died, and I dispatched the final 4 when they got sick. Very hard to do.
Linda

Back
Top Bottom