North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Meyer... I ordered some to ship to WA state, 5. splash Maran,blue Hamberg, Americana,meal maker (barred rock), Ancona. They all arrived on a thursday , born on a Monday, pretty desperate by the time they arrived.The blue hamberg was to be a rooster, it was born/shipped with exposed navel, died a couple days after it arrived. The ancona was supposed to be a hen was a rooster, the americana never had a solid shell. the splash maran was never very bright, and the barred rock was fine but it was a barred rock, so what, I am supposed to do back flips?

What town do you live in? I live in Walla Walla and we have a store here called cascade. They are able to order in all kinds of different chicks, when I asked the guy where they got them he said he thinks Indiana. But they have a huge variety of breeds, including speckled Sussex which I never thought I would find at a Feedstore. So depending on where you are I would talk to the feed stores and see what they can get in.

Cascade gets thier birds from Whelp Hatchery, which is in Texas, or they did last year. Someone new is in charge of order chickens this year.
There is another feedstore (NW Farm Supply) & (Bordertown) that also have chicks in the spring. They don't usally have as many breeds, but sometimes they have sussexes.

I'm in the Pullman area. I've considered feed stores here or the LC valley but I want a variety of breeds. I'm thinking RIR, GSL, BA, BO, EE, a Maran of some sort, and a Wyandotte. I wasn't sure if local feed stores would have the variety I'm looking for. I may check out the one in Walls Walla since that's a little closer than driving to Dunlap in Caldwell. I'm kind of bummed that people in our area haven't had good luck with Meyer, they seemed like a good company.

Cascade gets thier birds from Whelp Hatchery, which is in Texas, or they did last year. Someone new is in charge of order chickens this year.
There is another feedstore (NW Farm Supply) & (Bordertown) that also have chicks in the spring. They don't usally have as many breeds, but sometimes they have sussexes.

Well darn, cascade has had great chickens the last couple years. I hope they don't mess it up this year. I have also gotten checks from Northwest Farm supply and they were good. I haven't gotten any from border town, but people who have have reported that they get a few roosters. I know that can happen anytime so that's not I put down just reporting what I've heard. I have not got any checks from them.
I have never heard of the Welp hatchery.

I'm in the Pullman area. I've considered feed stores here or the LC valley but I want a variety of breeds. I'm thinking RIR, GSL, BA, BO, EE, a Maran of some sort, and a Wyandotte. I wasn't sure if local feed stores would have the variety I'm looking for. I may check out the one in Walls Walla since that's a little closer than driving to Dunlap in Caldwell. I'm kind of bummed that people in our area haven't had good luck with Meyer, they seemed like a good company.

I talked to the guy at the local cascade last week and he said that as long as the hatchery has the kind you are looking for you can order them in, even if you just want one chick of that kind. I have seen all those that you listed plus a bunch of other ones at cascade and I'm sure that Northwest farm supply also has them. It's a pretty good selection down here considering you only have three stores to choose from, good variety of breeds.
I know some of the stores down here also carry the Bantam checks but I don't really know much about any of them.
You may also be able to find a good variety from local breeders here in the area. I have read bad reviews about Dunlap, but no personal experience.

I'm selling some of my chickens and a few ducks right now, if anyone is interested. 
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1132126/white-rocks-spanishes-japanese-danvers-sebright-magpie-ducks 

Hello, you are from Walla Walla! Also. Glad to know there are some other chicken people out there in this town. I looked at your ad and those are some very pretty chickens. I don't know much about any of the breeds but they're pretty if that counts :) A friend of mine has bantams, I think they are all silkies. White and blue. That's the extent of my knowledge on that breed. But I will definitely point her your direction if she plans on getting any more bantams. Are Japanese and Seabright breeds bantams?
I almost got a bantam rooster but then decided I didn't want to deal with the rooster. My neighbors have one and I figured that's enough for one neighborhood.

Hello, you are from Walla Walla! Also. Glad to know there are some other chicken people out there in this town. I looked at your ad and those are some very pretty chickens. I don't know much about any of the breeds but they're pretty if that counts :) A friend of mine has bantams, I think they are all silkies. White and blue. That's the extent of my knowledge on that breed. But I will definitely point her your direction if she plans on getting any more bantams. Are Japanese and Seabright breeds bantams?
I almost got a bantam rooster but then decided I didn't want to deal with the rooster. My neighbors have one and I figured that's enough for one neighborhood.
Japaneses & Sebrights are bantam breeds. Most people I know who see my sebrights want them. When you buy bantams (and some rarer breeds), the come in straight run (50/50 roo/hen), so I've gotten plenty of cockerels from them. My Sebrights are the worst. Last year I got 3 and ended up with 1 hen. This year I got 5 and ended up with 1 hen. I was pretty luck with all my other straight run birds though.
Also, what cascade does when you order a breed from them, is order a ton of chicks that they can then sell off to everyone else who comes in. That's how I got my houdans this year.

Woo here's my once in a blue moon check in... I have ~10 cockerels to process in the next few weeks, we just had 2 litters of rabbits born (a litter of 7 and 8), and trying to fence our property so we can get goats. We're bloody worn out over here!

How's everyone else?

Japaneses & Sebrights are bantam breeds. Most people I know who see my sebrights want them. When you buy bantams (and some rarer breeds), the come in straight run (50/50 roo/hen), so I've gotten plenty of cockerels from them. My Sebrights are the worst. Last year I got 3 and ended up with 1 hen. This year I got 5 and ended up with 1 hen. I was pretty luck with all my other straight run birds though.
Also, what cascade does when you order a breed from them, is order a ton of chicks that they can then sell off to everyone else who comes in. That's how I got my houdans this year. 

Well, it works for them :) I was amazed that they said you could order just one of a breed, I figured they'd say you had to order at least five or 10 have a certain breed. But they don't seem to have any trouble selling them. The last two I bought for speckled Sussex and I also got a buff rock because I never just buy two I have to buy at least three. That way if one ends up being a rooster or one dies for some reason I am not trying to integrate one check. And it gives me an excuse to get more breeds :) my friend who gets bantams has a person who will take all the roosters. They just like chickens and they have land that they let them free range on. It makes her feel better that she has a home lined up for the boys.

Back
Top Bottom