North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Hi all! It seems several if us have dropped in again. I have been just taking a break for a while. The whole Marek's thing really set me back. @Saris I can feel your frustration!
I have decided to move forward with vaccination for all hatchlings. I just need to keep birds alive to lay eggs. Since I cannot in good conscience sell babies, I will try to sell hatching eggs. I am excited at this point that the Silkied Ameracauna eggs that I bought from the benefit auction hatched well and so far I have 11 growing birds. Some are straight feathered, but many are silkied. Both black and splash coloring. The other focus will be Isbar and probably some interesting mixes.

My other new bird love is Coturnix quail! No Marek's and they are laying machines! Plus they mature staring around 7 weeks and on. I have discovered pickled quail eggs. Not the usual flavors either. I am trying many different flavors. I am hoping to sell those too. We just processed 13 extra boys and I will try the meat for the first time. Also did 9 chicken roosters at the same time. Still have a number of roosters up and coming. It was"The year of the rooster" at my place this year. Lol

I hope everyone is well.

@UGLYFOOT Knowing it's in the area and since I'm already vaccinating for LT I've been considering vaccinating for Merak's too. I'm glad your SiAms are doing well, I hope they keep it up. I think I will have to bow out of trying to do SiAms so I can work on chocolate wheatens. I will have to wait until spring to get a nice wheaten cock since I had to slaughter mine, but I can sneak a boy in for a little while and do a spring hatch.

I hope everyone else is doing well ^_^

It seems like life happens to all of us once in a while. I wish that I had more time to read the posts. I do however have some white Ameraucanas cockerels available if anyone is interested.

Haven't been on here in a while, but life has been hectic. Went to Seattle over the weekend and have been providing additional light to my girls for about a week or two. Got back Sunday night to find that my Bantam Lavender/Self Blue Ameraucana hen laid an egg, and also my White Ameraucana hen. Totally made my day to see they're laying. I also picked up 2 white ameraucana roosters from while on my trip. My Bantam Lavender egg was fertile but the white ameraucana egg was not (kind of good since I've got a new rooster going in to her pen).
Anyway, very excited! Would have posted pictures, but I ate them, lol.

You ate your pictures!!! how did they taste? tee hee... Im glad you and your flock are doing well. nice to hear from you and some of the other ladies.
Saris helped me with my LO project. I am set w/ hens & roosters, i have not put them in the breeding pen yet, i am not ready for more chickens right now.
take care

Hi all! It seems several if us have dropped in again. I have been just taking a break for a while. The whole Marek's thing really set me back. @Saris I can feel your frustration!
I have decided to move forward with vaccination for all hatchlings. I just need to keep birds alive to lay eggs. Since I cannot in good conscience sell babies, I will try to sell hatching eggs. I am excited at this point that the Silkied Ameracauna eggs that I bought from the benefit auction hatched well and so far I have 11 growing birds. Some are straight feathered, but many are silkied. Both black and splash coloring. The other focus will be Isbar and probably some interesting mixes.

My other new bird love is Coturnix quail! No Marek's and they are laying machines! Plus they mature staring around 7 weeks and on. I have discovered pickled quail eggs. Not the usual flavors either. I am trying many different flavors. I am hoping to sell those too. We just processed 13 extra boys and I will try the meat for the first time. Also did 9 chicken roosters at the same time. Still have a number of roosters up and coming. It was"The year of the rooster" at my place this year. Lol

I hope everyone is well.

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the Marek's. Are your Coturnix jumbo's?

You ate your pictures!!! how did they taste? tee hee... Im glad you and your flock are doing well. nice to hear from you and some of the other ladies.
Saris helped me with my LO project. I am set w/ hens & roosters, i have not put them in the breeding pen yet, i am not ready for more chickens right now.
take care

Lol, here's a picture I didn't eat :)

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the Marek's. Are your Coturnix jumbo's?

Lol I think the term jumbo is subjective. There are size differences between my quail but it is measured in ounces unlike chickens with pounds. I have a mix of colors and sizes. I will be separating them in the spring to utilize the larger birds for meat production providing I like the meat or if people were interested in them. I can get eggs for lines that are bred for meat. They also come in some really cool colors. I like the tuxedo ones that are a mutation with white chests. Those are generally small sized birds though. For me it's all about the eggs right now. As I said I have discovered pickling or marinating them. Yummmmmyyyyy!!

Well, I will be downsizing the flock a fair amount. Just found out I'm pregnant and want to cut back on the ducks, turkeys and chickens.

Selling all 4 of my Narragansetts, several ducks hens, and several pullets/hens. Message me if interested.

Well, I will be downsizing the flock a fair amount. Just found out I'm pregnant and want to cut back on the ducks, turkeys and chickens.

Selling all 4 of my Narragansetts, several ducks hens, and several pullets/hens. Message me if interested.

Well congratulations!!! What breeds of pullets will you be selling?

Back
Top Bottom