Northern Virginia

That's very nice of you. Where are you guys located?
I really want ducks but my husband is on the fence about it.
Not that I'm trying to sell you on the idea but we originally were going to get Guinea Fowl due to their ability to eat bugs, especially ticks. But then we heard that ducks are even better! So we started with 5 Muscovies and we're up to 15. We helped out a couple in PA that got overrun with Muscovies, so we took a drive and picked up 10. I'm pretty sure that just about every single egg that's been laid in the past month is fertilized. We candled our first attempt the other night and out of 25 eggs we found 4 that didn't take off as expected. So we're down to 21. I'm sure we'll drop a few more between now and hatch day. So, if you're interested in ducklings, we'll have some, I hope, in about 23 days or so. We'll need another coop if we keep any of them, so all of them are going to go at some point. All the girls are beginning to lay, so we gather between 5 and 7 eggs per day and we'd be more than happy to collect a clutch for you all if you'd like to hatch them yourselves. We live 30 miles south of DC right off of 95. Let me know if you're interested and I'm sure we can work out a plan that fits both schedules and travel times.

Not that I'm trying to sell you on the idea but we originally were going to get Guinea Fowl due to their ability to eat bugs, especially ticks.  But then we heard that ducks are even better!  So we started with 5 Muscovies and we're up to 15.  We helped out a couple in PA that got overrun with Muscovies, so we took a drive and picked up 10.  I'm pretty sure that just about every single egg that's been laid in the past month is fertilized.  We candled our first attempt the other night and out of 25 eggs we found 4 that didn't take off as expected.  So we're down to 21.  I'm sure we'll drop a few more between now and hatch day.  So, if you're interested in ducklings, we'll have some, I hope, in about 23 days or so.  We'll need another coop if we keep any of them, so all of them are going to go at some point.  All the girls are beginning to lay, so we gather between 5 and 7 eggs per day and we'd be more than happy to collect a clutch for you all if you'd like to hatch them yourselves.  We live 30 miles south of DC right off of 95.  Let me know if you're interested and I'm sure we can work out a plan that fits both schedules and travel times.

I'm near winchester.

Not that I'm trying to sell you on the idea but we originally were going to get Guinea Fowl due to their ability to eat bugs, especially ticks.  But then we heard that ducks are even better!  So we started with 5 Muscovies and we're up to 15.  We helped out a couple in PA that got overrun with Muscovies, so we took a drive and picked up 10.  I'm pretty sure that just about every single egg that's been laid in the past month is fertilized.  We candled our first attempt the other night and out of 25 eggs we found 4 that didn't take off as expected.  So we're down to 21.  I'm sure we'll drop a few more between now and hatch day.  So, if you're interested in ducklings, we'll have some, I hope, in about 23 days or so.  We'll need another coop if we keep any of them, so all of them are going to go at some point.  All the girls are beginning to lay, so we gather between 5 and 7 eggs per day and we'd be more than happy to collect a clutch for you all if you'd like to hatch them yourselves.  We live 30 miles south of DC right off of 95.  Let me know if you're interested and I'm sure we can work out a plan that fits both schedules and travel times.

Are you planning on selling the ducklings?
How do you like chickens vs. Ducks?

I'm not certain what we're doing with the ducklings. I think most of that depends on what the success rate is of this first hatch. I'll be sure to keep you informed once they hatch. We have chickens and ducks and both to me are worth the investment in time and feed. I like the utility of both. The ducks are more entertaining to me, but that's probably more personal preference than anything else. Our 3 hens are not as difficult to handle, whereas the ducks tolerate us quite well until it comes time to handle, clip wings, blue kote an owie or give a mist of antibiotics. Watching ducks hunt out pests, give chase and then catch and consume the entire gambit of bugs, slugs, frogs and snakes; heck even cute little gecko lizards aren't safe!!! They are amazing animals!!

Hey y'all! I'm in Penn Laird,VA, in Rockingham County. We have 4 Pekin ducklings, 3 Rouen ducklings, and 2 Khakis ducklings. The Pekins are 4 weeks old and don't like the other 5, and the other quackers are 3 weeks old. We also have 6 cats, lol.

I'm not certain what we're doing with the ducklings.  I think most of that depends on what the success rate is of this first hatch.  I'll be sure to keep you informed once they hatch.  We have chickens and ducks and both to me are worth the investment in time and feed.  I like the utility of both. The ducks are more entertaining to me, but that's probably more personal preference than anything else.  Our 3 hens are not as difficult to handle, whereas the ducks tolerate us quite well until it comes time to handle, clip wings, blue kote an owie or give a mist of antibiotics.  Watching ducks hunt out pests, give chase and then catch and consume the entire gambit of bugs, slugs, frogs and snakes; heck even cute little gecko lizards aren't safe!!!  They are amazing animals!!  

We just got our 3 hens. After reading what you just wrote I want ducks too!

I am interested! Do you have a website?
In the process of one. But we make A- frame tractor coops
If you want we could make an arrangement where you could be my Ginny pig? Lol maybe 30% off so it would only cover materials? I'm gonna sell them for $430
I have built all our coops and my husband was in construction and my father was a craftsman carpenter so we have a solid background

We just got our 3 hens. After reading what you just wrote I want ducks too!
FYI guys about your ducks
Went to the NPIP training last weekend and learned that sucks carry AI but it doesn't effect them. They are also more prone to getting it then chickens
The advice was to make sure they're kept separate so that they don't possibly infect the hens
I don't have ducks but that's what they said? FYI

FYI guys about your ducks
Went to the NPIP training last weekend and learned that sucks carry AI but it doesn't effect them. They are also more prone to getting it then chickens
The advice was to make sure they're kept separate so that they don't possibly infect the hens
I don't have ducks but that's what they said? FYI

That's very good to know. Thank you.

Good morning. What's everyone doing this weekend?
My daughter and i are going to a poultry auction today. I have 11 eggs on lockdown in my incubator, so that is pretty exciting.
Tomorrow is easter

Back
Top Bottom