Northwoods Poultry & Red Feather Farm

twitterpated

Chirping
Apr 2, 2019
Eastern KY
I was wondering if anyone has dealt with either of them before? Any good or bad reviews?

F58089B5-E06C-4C73-AC83-ABC595E2FDA3.png

B59C6F22-45CB-4D49-8734-D0DDC27F4855.png

Last edited:
I bought from Northwoods. FBCM, Salmon Faveroles, OE, and buff Brahma...

The FBCM weren't perfect (no bird is)... females had light hackles and/or not much copper, males had white at base of tail... egg color and temperament were good (better than shown in the pic). One female had wrong eye color. But get enough to select from and it was a fairly good start... only taking me about 3 generations to get them where I liked them. Fantastic growth rates. and the hens were fairly broody making excellent mothers.

The OE... laid a darker egg than the pure Marans and not olive colored at all.

The Salmon Faveroles that survived were both male and both had very, very bent toes.

The Brahma... just didn't care for their personality.

My shipping route is TOUGH... from hatcheries I'm lucky if I get a 50% survival rate. When the chicks were delayed an extra day at a city two hours from me... the seller got on the phone, tracked the chicks down and begged the post master to fill the water dish that was stapled inside the box. Reluctantly they did it when she told them she isn't asking them to hold or feed or care for the chicks but just to show a little compassion. I had a 100% DOA from hatchery that arrived a day sooner than hers... Her chicks were (other than what I already described), much healthier and stronger than hatchery chicks even with an extra day inside the box!

For the price... I definitely suggest chicks over hatching eggs!

But boy do I hate it when someone claims themselves to be a breeder and doesn't even use the "s" which should always be said Marans whether singular or plural.. in the first sentence describing them.

No experience with the other place mentioned. Note I am in California. I MIGHT give them another chance. I didn't mention the bent toes to the seller.. Now that I breed, I wish I had.. because people can't fix what they don't know. :)

Hope this is useful. :fl

But boy do I hate it when someone claims themselves to be a breeder and doesn't even use the "s" which should always be said Marans whether singular or plural.. in the first sentence describing them

Not only did they mention "Maran" chicken, but they are from "Maran, France" which doesn't exist, but, Marans France DOES exist!

On the other thread by this OP, I posted a link to the NPIP and the stock codes. These stock codes use the term "Maran". So, I looked at the aphis.usda site and they also use "Maran". Now, I was curious and got out my APA Standards of Perfection book. Yes, the breed is "Marans" with an "s" - always with an "s" on the end.

I bought from Northwoods. FBCM, Salmon Faveroles, OE, and buff Brahma...

The FBCM weren't perfect (no bird is)... females had light hackles and/or not much copper, males had white at base of tail... egg color and temperament were good (better than shown in the pic). One female had wrong eye color. But get enough to select from and it was a fairly good start... only taking me about 3 generations to get them where I liked them. Fantastic growth rates. and the hens were fairly broody making excellent mothers.

The OE... laid a darker egg than the pure Marans and not olive colored at all.

The Salmon Faveroles that survived were both male and both had very, very bent toes.

The Brahma... just didn't care for their personality.

My shipping route is TOUGH... from hatcheries I'm lucky if I get a 50% survival rate. When the chicks were delayed an extra day at a city two hours from me... the seller got on the phone, tracked the chicks down and begged the post master to fill the water dish that was stapled inside the box. Reluctantly they did it when she told them she isn't asking them to hold or feed or care for the chicks but just to show a little compassion. I had a 100% DOA from hatchery that arrived a day sooner than hers... Her chicks were (other than what I already described), much healthier and stronger than hatchery chicks even with an extra day inside the box!

For the price... I definitely suggest chicks over hatching eggs!

But boy do I hate it when someone claims themselves to be a breeder and doesn't even use the "s" which should always be said Marans whether singular or plural.. in the first sentence describing them.

No experience with the other place mentioned. Note I am in California. I MIGHT give them another chance. I didn't mention the bent toes to the seller.. Now that I breed, I wish I had.. because people can't fix what they don't know. :)

Hope this is useful. :fl

Oh this is exactly what I was hoping someone would post. Thank you so much for your input!

Oh this is exactly what I was hoping someone would post. Thank you so much for your input!
Come to think of it, I also got Lav Orps from them. Pretty birds. :love

And a standard Ameraucana... black I think... was a boy and had color leakage in his hackle area if I remember correctly, slow developer, good attitude.

That was a few years ago. :)

Not only did they mention "Maran" chicken, but they are from "Maran, France" which doesn't exist, but, Marans France DOES exist!

On the other thread by this OP, I posted a link to the NPIP and the stock codes. These stock codes use the term "Maran". So, I looked at the aphis.usda site and they also use "Maran". Now, I was curious and got out my APA Standards of Perfection book. Yes, the breed is "Marans" with an "s" - always with an "s" on the end.

I guess it would be an easy mistake for a newbie like me to leave the “s” off as it automatically conjures thoughts of plurality if I add it. But it makes sense that it would be Marans from Marans, France.

I guess it would be an easy mistake for a newbie like me to leave the “s” off as it automatically conjures thoughts of plurality if I add it. But it makes sense that it would be Marans from Marans, France.

No worries! I hadn't paid attention to that until @EggSighted4Life mentioned the discrepancy in the Northwoods Poultry information you posted above. The issue @EggSighted4Life had was a business is selling something, but not using the correct spelling for that special (expensive) something.

Back
Top Bottom