Nose infection, or just a scratch?

Lanies chicks

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 16, 2013
Sunny California
Hi everyone!

So, I have been raising poultry for the past 11 years, and I currently have a Bantam Modern Game with either a nose infection or she scrapped of the entire surface off her nostril.
hmm.png
It really does not look very good.
There is no blood. But her nose is pretty messed up. There is either a piece of cartalidge, bone, or hardened snot that is blocking the opening of the nostril. It is movable, but she really does not like it when I try to remove it.

Any advice? Thanks everyone. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm hoping she is well and healed before the GCPF show in the beginning of January.

Here is a picture of her.

Somewhere in he past I believe someone else had a similar problem. They found out it was food that had hardened and was blocking the nares. You might try to soften it with warm water, and a few minutes later see if you can get it off.

I believe that Seminolewind here on BYC also had this problem, but hers may have been a growth. She might see this thread and chime in.

So, update:
My hen is still having her nose issue.
hmm.png
It appears to me that she has scrapped the whole side of her nostril off somehow and it became infected/swollen. I really don't know what to do for her. I've tried compresses, and Vet-RX.

Back
Top Bottom