Not absorbing yolk ...with blood & clear stuff attached??

LilDucky85

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Northern, Illinois
Yesterday my duck started to hatch 5 days early. I checked on it all night and there wasnt much progress. Eventually today it got out of the shell! I checked it, continued with getting the easter baskets ready, then checked back a few minutes later and he had got out! I was so upset I missed it! It laid and rested in its shell for hours and then I looked in the bator and it was gone! Shell and all! I looked and it had walked all the way across the bator with the shell attached. When I looked at it there was a red vein looking thing, what looked like clear egg whites, and a little bit of yolk.

Im not touching it but what should I do? Should I just keep the humidity up and wait to see what happens? I dont want to lose this baby. It was my easter surprise!!

Ill be back later after my Easter party. I snuck to the computer for a minute because this is on my mind!
fl.gif

Last edited:
If all of the other chicks have hatched you could put some water on the 'area" and put it back in to the bator. Otherwise, watch it and let nature take its course.

No one has hatched yet besides this one. There are a few other pips but its going to be awhile for the others.

Should I not open the bator (even to add humidity) since the others are pipping?? Now it looks like more is coming out than it started. There was like one vein looking thing now its more?? Can it fall out of them instead of absorb? He wants to walk around but its making me nervous. I cant even watch it.
hit.gif

I knew something like this would happen.

Another thing, it has been out since at least noon and still not drying off? Could the yolk sac have ruptured? If so what does this mean? I’m not picking it up to wash it off so will it be fine?
sad.png

No, I’m worried because it is a really hyper ducky and he is doing laps in the bator with this stuff just hanging there from his butt. I just want him to rest! Now he is currently keeping me awake by trying to get out of the bator. He really doesn’t like it in there! I really don’t know what to do, and I’m just bummed. It has a little red stuff hanging out still so I cant take him out, but I’m worried he is too hot in there. 5 others are pipped now so I can’t open the bator to take him out or let him drink. This is so stressful. I’m preparing myself for a let down. It’s only a matter of time.

I say he but I don’t even know what it is yet.

Please don`t worry.Most all of them will leave a strand behind.Mine does and sometimes it don`t.But it will be ok.Don`t open the bator,because it seems like when they are hatching the humidity goes up more.I have jsut hatched abouyt 15 and they take longer than chicks to hatch,Praying you will be ok and the ducks will be ok.Don`t take the top off,ok,Good Luck,Sandra
hugs.gif

Thank you so much. I’m just sitting here regretting even hatching eggs. This is my first time and I feel like this egg could have had a better chance with someone actually experienced. I hate watching it suffer...or what appears to be suffering. It hatched at least 10 hours ago and still looks wet. I have 5 that pipped today and opened the bator before I realized this. I’m worried about them too now. The humidity is right on point but I’m worried I shrink wrapped them. There was so much anticipation but now that they are here and hatching I’m terrified and sad because of what’s already went wrong!

Back
Top Bottom