Not absorbing yolk ...with blood & clear stuff attached??

I have one plug in, and one out. They started 5 days early so I hadn’t even stopped turning yet! They surprised me big time. I haven’t taken the second plug out, should I? I was wondering about this but I haven’t since I’m worried about the humidity as it is. This morning I noticed 2 pips then tonight I noticed 5. This was after I opend the bator.

Nearly 24 hours later my little ducky "Easter" is alive and letting the world know it! Although it has a brown mass protruding from its rear it doesn’t even notice. Last night I tried the Qtip thing and put some medicine on it. It still looks like it did last night, about a pea size area of brown. Last night it shot out some neon green liquid. I’m not sure which hole this came from but luckily I had a towel under it while I was holding it. Since it was almost 24 hours and it wasn’t drying off I took it out and put it in the brooder. It really wanted out of that bator and wasn’t afraid to let me know. I was worried that it would burn its head on the heating element since it’s so hot to the touch. Another thing is it kept walking all over the eggs who are trying to hatch. I cant keep opening and closing it to help the little duck so I just finally took it out. Almost instantly the little guy, or girl started drying off. It’s lonely, and chirps constantly. As soon as I put my hand near its beak it stops and cuddles. I put a blanket, and cuddle buddy in there for now. I keep reassuring Easter that his/her brothers and sisters are on their way!

Since it lost some of its yolk should I feed it early? I tried showing it water but there was no interest. I also tried an eyedropper but also, no interest. I don’t want to drown it so what should I do?

Last edited:
Quote:
LilDucky, I just found this thread -

I had that happen with Spiffy - I ended up putting a drop of BluKote on his belly button area, because I hadn't done that to a previous hatched one, and it got irritated (possibly infected) and died on me.

The green stuff is poo
big_smile.png
their first poo comes out like that.

If he is on his feet and running around, he probably won't irritate the area that much - Spiffy wasnt on his feet yet and was scooting a lot, so it irritated it big time. I've had that happen with a chicken chick or two, also - and they always did ok. It seems like if they are up on their feet and not dragging it, the spot heals up ok.

I think it took my duckies a day or two after being int he brooder before they really paid any attention at all to the food or water. Don't worry, they'll eat and drink when they are ready, as long as they are healthy enough to be up and running around.

meri

Sounds to me like it had it's first poo...
love.gif
. It's just that color because of the yolk it absorbed. He's goinna be fine. And that string that's hanging is probably just the stuff from the egg when it hatched. It'll eventually dry up and fall off. No worries. Has he tried to eat anything yet?

He is doing great....actually beating up his brothers and sisters now who just hatched today! I’ve had to separate him from the others! I call him the brat!

The spot is hardly noticeable now that he is all fluffed up. It has a dried up crusty thing smaller than the size of a pea. I’m hoping it will eventually fall off? Yes he has had water and food. He seems to peck at my fingers and only eat the food off them!

Another one has a little red thing kind of protruding from the area. All yolk was absorbed, and the baby looks to be healthy other then being kind of lazy. I’m just hoping its exhausted since he hatched in less than a day!

Back
Top Bottom