Not even sure this is a chicken!

Granny, no bottom of feet are creamy colored.
Moonshiner, the roo died a month ago and she has been with a tortoise and a quail since and been fine. I have her in quarantine now but probably not for a long time since she has been well for four weeks. However, in our fields we are dragging birds and mammals all over the place so anything is possible.
Ill probably introduce them slowly with a fence between them because shes so small I don't want anyone bullying her. She actually made some chicken noises just now and not the heinous screaming she has done all afternoon.
Hen Pen Gem, LOL great story! I'm not afraid OF her, I'm afraid FOR her. Shes like half the size of my big sassy girls and I don't know how the dominant RIR or my she-ra pekin will do with her. Maybe she needs a good strong name like...Xena...warrior hencess. For now she can chill in my bathroom in a crate til we figure her out and worm her. Just don't want to worm her til I know what she is. Screeching banshee chicken....but for over a month she has lived where peafowl roam all over....bad habits. I'm thinking of getting quail in the spring....maybe that's a better pairing if shes destined to be dainty.

Riki Tiki spent her first week in a hospital crate while her leg mended, and another 2 weeks in a separate rooster pen, 6 feet from the flock. Finally, I put her in the main coop's attached pen for her last 2 weeks, where my girls could see her everyday. My husband made a little box with a door and two windows, no perch, for her to sleep in at night. She is smaller than my girls too. When I finally opened the door to the main pen, my girls went in to meet her. She ran away, and kept her distance. Then, when they were satisfied that she was nothing to worry about they returned to the main pen. Then, Riki Tiki followed...of course my alpha hen let her know who was boss. Riki Tiki never contested her position in the flock, she would be last in the pecking order. Every night she'd go in to roost with girls and there would be some pecking and squawking. But, she seemed relieved not to be alone anymore. After the first couple months they all adjusted no blood was ever drawn or injury inflicted.

Here she is with Inky, her BFF. Inky was just taken by a bobcat this August.
PICT0020.JPG

Well I'm off to bed for now.....closest I found to her face is a dark Cornish....maybe...or a tea cup turkey vulture. I appreciate all yalls input. I'm looking forward to seeing what she looks like in a few months on some good groceries. No telling how long she was out before animal control got her, and apparently she was near bald and skinny then.

Well I'm off to bed for now.....closest I found to her face is a dark Cornish....maybe...or a tea cup turkey vulture. I appreciate all yalls input. I'm looking forward to seeing what she looks like in a few months on some good groceries. No telling how long she was out before animal control got her, and apparently she was near bald and skinny then.

This is so neat. Please keep us posted on how she turns out in a couple months. I suspect all the screaming is just in fear, and that one she gets settled, she will do all the normal chicken noises.

If she's tiny she's probably a bantam game fowl. They have long legs compared to the tiny body and have an incredible screeching voice.
NicholsonBBRedP.JPEG

Here is an image of a Bantam Asil. Photo taken from Bantam Asil club. I didn't realize Asil come in bantam size.

images

The Shamo also has a bantam size.
ShamoBkP.JPEG

Maybe this will help you. These are unique breeds and are considered rare in certain parts of the world. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom