Not Happy with Mother Nature

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
I have a plum tree in full bloom and it is suppose to get down to 8 degrees in a couple of days.
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

It'll freeze the blooms off again!

Did it start to bloom already this year and they died because it got cold?
We kind of had that last year, it was getting so close to spring and everything was starting to bloom but it was still too cold for everything so some stuff died or didn't do very well last year.

It is full of blooms/buds right now. If it gets below freezing or a hard freeze it will freeze the buds and no fruits will develop. 2 years ago here in SE Kansas everything was in full bloom (I mean EVERYTHING) had a hard freeze and damaged a lot of trees and flowers. No cherries, peaches, grapes etc.etc.! Some trees died.
barnie.gif
I just hope the weatherman is wrong and it doesn't get cold enough to damage our fruit crops.
fl.gif

The lowest I've seen forecasted for us (central Kansas) is 18 tomorrow morning. We lost basically our whole wheat crop 2 years ago to the late freeze. The wheat isn't as far along now as it was then so hopefully we won't have a repeat of that.

Yes, the tree is 15yrs old and not a dwarf variety. Too tall to cover. I guess I could cover what branches we can reach. My DH also informed me that our cherry tree was starting to bud out.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
hit.gif

We also experienced a hard freeze two years ago. Froze the peaches and cherries which were just out of the boot and the new leaves on all the trees. I saved my peach crop(one tree) with my kerosene lanterns. I had five of various sizes and capacities. I spaced them equally around the tree just inside the drip line. I lost some topmost young fruit but most survived.

Back
Top Bottom