Not Lying Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Veenducks, May 4, 2016.

1. Veenducks

Veenducks New Egg

May 4, 2016
    Ontario
    Our family have one year old Peking Ducks. We live in Southern Ontario, warm in the summer and cold and snowy in the winter.
    Our female duck starting lying eggs on October 27th. We got an egg everyday until 2 weeks ago.....now nothing. We have looked every where she is not hiding them. Is this normal?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I don't have experience with ducks (would love to get them someday though!) but from what I've heard, ducks are not like chickens - they don't lay all year round. Your duck might have stopped laying or she could be hiding them. Sorry I can't help more. [​IMG]

3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    It is odd that she would lay Oct-Apr and not Apr-Oct. Without supplemental lighting the ducks body doesn't usually produce enough hormones to make her start laying. Is there a light in her coop that would have spurred her body into laying in the "off-season?"

Has she done any spring molting? Sometimes that can cause the body to focus on feather growing instead of egg laying.

I wonder if she's just resetting her body. With any luck she'll be back on a duck laying schedule in the next month, and keep that up.

4. Veenducks

Veenducks New Egg

May 4, 2016
    Ontario
    They have a heat lamp in their coop when the temp drops below -5 to make sure their drinking water dose not freeze.
    She is losing lots of feathers right now. I hope to have eggs again soon

Thanks for the help

5. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

That sounds like we have a diagnosis! Molting!
    I bet your duck yard looks like someone had a pillow fight!

6. Veenducks

Veenducks New Egg

May 4, 2016
    Ontario
    Thanks for all your help.....we have eggs again today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by