(not) Smart Enough to Come in Out of the Rain

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
So it started raining last night for the first time this season. i have roofs over my Silkie and Showgirl pens. But the Red Star young hens (and my older EE hen Penny) have a large coop house, then a large pen area with just deer netting over top. This is the first time the RS kids have seen or been out in rain. i figured they would get some drops on them then run into the coop. It was getting to be nightfall anyways.

Nope. They galavanted like it was a sunny spring day. My husband tried to shoo them into the coop and they wouldn't go. They didn't heed Penny, who was smart enough to come in out of the rain. i finally got worried about them getting too soaked so herded them into the coop and closed them up for the night.

But i was a bit worried about them being damp as they went to bed. It didn't get too cold last night, maybe down to 50-55 or so. But it's supposed to rain for almost a week. So, do i keep them in their coop? Or do i let them out and hope they come to their senses and come in before they're soaked to the bone? i know this sounds like silly questions. But i've never encountered this before. We moved from Southern California this past Spring and it hardly rained down there at all, plus all our runs were covered.

i would love to know what other folks do with their chickens in inclement weather.
smile.png

my rooster and hen wont come in out of the rain either..and when i try to get them back in, they get mad and run from me.
roll.png

My BR's will also stand out in the rain, I'm always telling them they are acting dumb. But the rain doesnt seem to bother them. I also have my silkie pen covered so they stay some what dry. Maybe you can put a tarp over your other coop !! I think thats what i'm going to do for winter. Just earlyer this week it rained during the day the chickens got wet and then started snowing at night so i'm sure the temp dropped and everyone was ok !! I would let them out this week.

Well okay then, sounds like a general consensus that the rain won't kill them.
tongue.png

Right now the Silkies are all piled over by the side of their pen where the rain got in. The Reds are running around seemingly enjoying the wet.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to cover part of the Red's pen. i could probably build a lean-to off the side of the coop, so they can be outside but still stay dry, if they want to. i guess we all have to get used to having seasons now that we're up in NorCal. i am personally really loving this weather!
smile.png

I think they think, what rain? And go about their day. Well, spend a bit more time in the car port if it's in the upper 30's and raining. It likes to rain in the seattle area, so if you didn't go out and get wet, you'd never go out. LOL

Back
Top Bottom