Not enough nests!

GreenHaven

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
This is becoming a regular occurrence. I must not have enough nests (because 5 is not enough for 8 hens), so I added a few impromptu nest on the floor of the laying coop. They seem to like them - just rubber pans. Problem solved - cozy communal nest. The actual nest boxes are no longer used. I'm thinking I should just get one very large rubber pan and be done with it.

View attachment 3777967View attachment 3777968

Attachments

• tempImage3rs0l3.png
    tempImage3rs0l3.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
  • tempImageUQmsMV.png
    tempImageUQmsMV.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
Silly girls! Five nest boxes should be plenty for eight hens. How old are they and when did they start laying? They might not have learned to use the nest boxes fully yet. I had a SLW who took forever to learn how to use them.
They do know. I’m just amused by their antics. If I had a 100 nests I bet I’d still find them all in the same one!

Those are some kooky chooks! Best of luck to you! Well, I guess you could say "at least they're all friends," haha!

That’s how it works. We have 16 nests for 80 hens and they still only use 5 nests. There are girls waiting in line, screaming that they are crowning, or climbing on top of another hen in the nest to lay an egg beside her. Plus finding eggs in the run, behind or on top of cabinets, and behind tarps used to block wind.
They are funny. I find some eggs in the grass under the laying house. The wait for "the nest" got too long. But they do get along pretty well.

Putting one or two fake eggs in each nest can help 'spread the love'.
I tried that and it does seem to work - but they get pretty grungy looking after awhile, and the porcelain ones don't clean up at all - so I took them out. When I take them out for cleaning (like now) - they seem to revert in their behavior. I wonder if it's an instinctual urge to create a clutch of eggs - even though most of them have lost the instinct to actually sit on them. Maybe I should buy a box of golf balls - they'd probably clean better. I clearly need to put them back.

I tried that and it does seem to work - but they get pretty grungy looking after awhile, and the porcelain ones don't clean up at all - so I took them out. When I take them out for cleaning (like now) - they seem to revert in their behavior. I wonder if it's an instinctual urge to create a clutch of eggs - even though most of them have lost the instinct to actually sit on them. Maybe I should buy a box of golf balls - they'd probably clean better. I clearly need to put them back.
Why are they getting grungy?
Mine don't stay pristine but it doesn't really matter.
I only wash mine when I get a nest mess with a broken egg.

Back
Top Bottom