Not sure about the breed of your chicken(s)? Click here!

Pics
I'd like ya to have a go at some of my little guys, if you don't mind!

The following are birds from TSC (I do not know what hatchery they use)...

The first two chicks, Hoot and Holler, were labeled as pullets. But were they Ameraucana? Aracauna? I don't remember... I don't think they look like Ameraucanas, but I am no expert.
Also, what would you call their colours? Is Holler a partridge?

View attachment 1930616
View attachment 1930617

The next two were labeled, of course, "Assorted Bantam"... they have the stiff little upright tails when they aren't being held against their will lol (if you want to take a stab at gender, too, feel free!)

View attachment 1930619
View attachment 1930620

I have two other unknown bantams, but I haven't banded and photographed them just yet.
The first ones are Easter eggers. Like @Frazzemrat1 said, they don't have the right traits for ameraucanas or aracaunas. EEs are often mislabeled as one of those two at feed stores and even hatchery websites.
The other two are lavender (self blue) old English game bantams. Most likely pullets.
I can't speak to the bantams, but Hoot and Hollar are both easter eggers. They don't look like ameraucana at all, since they don't have the muffs and beard, wrong color legs and don't have a color pattern that matches the ameraucana SOP.
Additionally, they can't be araucana because those are rare and hard to find, expensive too. I have 5, and the SOP on them calls for rumpless, tufted as their most defining features, besides specific colors.
Here's the Ameraucana Breeder's Club breed gallery:
http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/gallery.html
Here's the Araucana Club of America's Standards Of Perfection (SOP) page, which includes pics if you click on the individual colors...
http://www.araucana.net/sop/
I just wanted to point out that at least one of them does have a beard, it's just a bit harder to see.

Yay, thanks! I had suspected the two blue birds were OEGB, but I wanted more opinions. Based on the little roo photos, I would agree they are likely pullets too... How fun! I cannot wait to see their tiny little eggs haha

Being that Hoot and Holler are EEs, should I trust that they were labeled as pullets? I know even then there is always a chance for a mistake, but we have fun guessing pullet or cockerel as straight runs grow :D And yes, Hoot does have a bit of a beard... They both had fluffy cheeks when they were tiny.

Sure i’ll go. She’s about 20 weeks. Attached a pic of her egg too.

DAA6EB13-3737-4FED-A4EE-3C2D6DB08C29.png
F9D717F6-1D4E-4FFE-B704-7BB62D35263A.jpeg
BC7B722E-C456-44BA-8945-53941FA80744.jpeg

Boy am I glad I found this thread! I just rescued a chicken from my the dorms on the college campus where I teach. I've been searching all night to try and identify the breed and sex of the little one, but no luck. I'm hoping you all can help me as I'm quite new to raising chickens. I only just got two Rhode Island Red hens about two weeks ago and then this cutie came into my life last night unexpectedly. The photo was taken last night while the chicken was still in the dorm. I'll try to take more later today but any help you can give will be so much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7759.jpg
    IMG_7759.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 12
What are your thoughts on American Game mix? Her brother was very American Game looking.
I would have to see a standing side picture of her. Her shape and the way she holds herself is a good way to figure out whether she's a game mix or not.
Boy am I glad I found this thread! I just rescued a chicken from my the dorms on the college campus where I teach. I've been searching all night to try and identify the breed and sex of the little one, but no luck. I'm hoping you all can help me as I'm quite new to raising chickens. I only just got two Rhode Island Red hens about two weeks ago and then this cutie came into my life last night unexpectedly. The photo was taken last night while the chicken was still in the dorm. I'll try to take more later today but any help you can give will be so much appreciated.
She looks like an old English game bantam. Good job rescuing her. :)

Back
Top Bottom