Not sure if Hen or Rooster ???

floriojj

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
I picked up 6 chic sat tractor supply, these two are from the straight run section. All the others have a comb, these two do not have any starting to develop. They do, however, have these red things on the side of their lower face. Any clue if they are roosters or not. Unknown breed and I got them probably around 3-4 weeks ago.

Thanks, Jesse

welcome-byc.gif

They actually have a fair amount of comb, they're just not straight combed breeds, so it's not as obvious as the points sticking up. They look to be rose combed cockerels, as the above stated most likely Wyandottes.

The red bits under the chin are called wattles
smile.png

Thanks for all the responses, I have done a little research and I think I decide to keep one cockerel and see if the buddy wants the other one. Any suggestions, also could you have 2 roosters? Will the eggs still be good to eat? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for all the help

If you only have 6 in total and 2 are roosters, that's too many roosters for the amount of hens. The roosters will overmate the hens and this will cause trauma to the hens' backs. Usually people like to have a ratio of 1 rooster to 10 hens or so. You may be able to get away with 1 rooster to 4 hens depending on the temperament of the rooster and how much space you have for the birds. Another solution is to get more pullets to up the ratio of females to males. Eggs will be absolutely fine to eat, just collect them on the day they are laid and put them in the fridge as you usually would. They will only start to develop into chicks if the hens are allowed to brood them. Good luck with your chickens!

I have a quick question, when should the cockerels start to crow ? Just curious mine are probably 7-8 weeks and still haven't heard anything but the normal peeps. Thanks, jesse

I have a quick question, when should the cockerels start to crow ? Just curious mine are probably 7-8 weeks and still haven't heard anything but the normal peeps. Thanks, jesse
No set age. Each chicken is different. I have had ones as earlier as 3 weeks and ones after 1 year. Very large range! Common age range is probably 3-6 months. It pretty much just happens when their hormones start to kick in and they feel good and ready.

Back
Top Bottom