Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

This one has had me guessing for a while. I'm hoping it's a pullet because I don't want to have to give it away. It's a little standoffish, but I got a decent picture. Thank you for the help! It is a 7 week old barred rock. It has female barring and dark legs, but a red comb

Same with this one

And just for reference this is my male from the same bunch beside one that I'm questioning

Last edited:
Not sure why you think cockerels? They're colored like pullets. You see how light Aber's BRs are? Yes, they have combs and wattles but they aren't excessively developed for 5 weeks.

ETA: I have a gold sexlink this time and it's done wonders for my peace of mind. As long as nobody is more developed than the 100% pullet, then I don't worry! Here's 5 weeks (I wish you could see that her wattles are exactly like your chicks'):

And then 8 so you can see how much change is normal. Comb growth is OK, just not hyper fast or bright red yet!
This makes me feel much better! Thank you! I had already bought 4 new chicks yesterday and am up to 18 now after a friend recommended I go ahead and buy replacements. I prefer my BR babies. I suppose I will be selling some EEs soon! lol

This makes me feel much better! Thank you! I had already bought 4 new chicks yesterday and am up to 18 now after a friend recommended I go ahead and buy replacements. I prefer my BR babies. I suppose I will be selling some EEs soon! lol

YVW. I think the hatchery Rocks give a lot of folks concern because the pullet pink really pops against the black and they seem to develop a bit early. I try to remember that and look more at the barring which really should be the tell anyway. As long as yours are from a reputable source, no worries.

YVW. I think the hatchery Rocks give a lot of folks concern because the pullet pink really pops against the black and they seem to develop a bit early. I try to remember that and look more at the barring which really should be the tell anyway. As long as yours are from a reputable source, no worries.
I know this want for me but this really helps! Thanks! I was afraid that I have like 7 roosters instead of 4

Back
Top Bottom