Not sure what my rooster has on his comb he's had it for a while could be Favus or Dry Fowl pox not

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bhudda, Jan 14, 2017.

1. bhudda

bhudda New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    My poor rooster Petey has had this dry comb for a few months I was treating with Aquaphor and it seemed to help. His comb would look normal for a few days but recently it's gotten much worse. I showed my vet and he thought it might be a fungal infection and he recomended that I use Lamisil cream (terbinafine hydrochloride) but just earlier that day I was reading a post Doc Peter Brown about Tinactin (tolnaftate) for chickens and fungal infections so I got that instead. I've been treating for 10 days and neither seemed to have worked. SO I started my research again and saw an image of a bird with Dry Fowl Pox, So I started my flock on a Tablespoon of Duramycin 10 to 1.5 gallons of water.

I was hoping someone could assist me in figuring out what this is?
    He's my favorite in the flock and I don't really have he funds for an Avian Doctor. I keep clean coops, I use DE and Seven dust as preventative measures in my cleaning.

These pics are in order, I've been documenting the progress for the past 10 days
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It could be fowl pox, or it could be from pecking. Is he kept with other birds? Have you noticed and pecking or fighting?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sorry, I don't know what it is but:

Fowl pox is a virus, so antibiotics will not get rid of it and can reduce the health of the birds immune system.
    What I've read about fowl pox is you just have to give it time to pass.
    How does the inside of his mouth look.....wet pox should be looked for there.

DE is not really effective for much, except killing grain eating pests in feed storage situations.
    Sevin will kill about any and all insect, but using it when you don't have a specific external parasite problem can cause resistance for when you do need it.

Hopefully someone with experience with this type of comb can help out.

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It may be fowl pox. Good hygiene will help the condition some and may prevent the spread to others. But you're going to need to wait for it to pass.

I've found painting Blu-kote on combs affected by black spots definitely helps them clear up faster. If it does nothing else, it will discourage pecking of the comb by others.

5. bhudda

bhudda New Egg

Jan 14, 2017
    I don't think it's fighting I see them and they don't injure each other.
    I'll try the blu-kote that sounds like it might help them clear up. the Aquaphor helps it soften and moisturize pretty good but I just can't get it to go away.

The Chicken Chick said to treat with Tetracycline like Duramycin 10 for fowl pox, today is day two of Duramycin 10. She also says it's uncurable :-(
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

He's still eating well, mating, crowing like crazy. I don't see any signs yet of any wet infection his mouth nose and breathing is strong and clear.

That's why this has been so **** hard to figure out.

I really appreciate the fast replies thanks everyone!!!

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Dry fowl pox doesn't usually go into their mouths, that's wet fowl pox. The pox is a virus transmitted mostly by mosquitoes or bird to bird contact. It runs it's course in about 6 weeks, treatment does nothing for it.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If his comb has looked that way for a few months, I would think that it was either a fungal infection or from injury to his comb. Has his comb every been frostbitten in the past? It looks like warm climate from the short sleeves in the picture. Pox is usually gone after a month. I think that I would use the antifungal medicine. Miconazole or Monistat are some that many use with favus. I would really look for something that he could be rubbing his comb against or for anyone pecking him, just in case. Your vet can do a scraping for favus. I hope that someone here can help you solve your problem.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Since you don't have vet care available, I would be tempted to see I could work one of those bumps loose to see what it is.

It looks like he has a walnut comb with numerous nooks and crannies. My line of thought is that dirt/debris gets in there and "festers" for the lack of a better word. This may just be hardened gunk.
    I would only attempt to soften 1 small lump on the comb and see if it comes out. You could wet a q-tip with some peroxide or even apply a warm compress to see if it would soften, then gently work it loose.

It may actually be some type of infection/pus/fungus underneath, once it's cleaned out apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn.

Just my thoughts.

Keep us posted.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-comb-cant-find-anything-on-it-now-with-pics

1 person likes this.
  9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Massage some castor oil into it once a week or so. CO is a natural antifungal, antibacterial, antimicrobial that is known for healing skin and regrowing hair. Could be you'll start to see some results. It's also an anti-inflammatory, so if it's painful at all the CO will ease the pain of it, while protecting it from infection. You can find CO at any pharmacy for cheap and it can't hurt him in any way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by