November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I'm in Australia too! Put mine in the bator at 12.30pm yesterday, so been in for 31.5 hours now. Can't wit for the first candle :)

Aaaahhh I thought i was due on the 6th... but must have worked it out wrong then...lol

I must be due on the 7th

mind you, my last batch of silkies started at hatching on day 20 ( but i think by your calculations it would have been day 19)

might need to reconsider my bator temp maybe...

at what stage (day or hrs) do you wait till first candle??

I always count the day you put eggs in the incubator as day zero. In other words, if I set eggs on a Sunday, I expect them to hatch on a Sunday (give or take depending on incubator conditions etc). Bantam breeds tend to hatch a little early, though I'm not sure why.

I have previously candled RIR, leghorn, hyline brown eggs at 4 days or so, and been able to see definite signs of development, but have heard its harder with araucanas as their shells are thicker. Mind you, I'll probably give it a go anyway! I bought a specific candling torch from Bellsouth, nd found it much better than my regular torch. Happy days! I love incubating eggs :)

I'm with you on the early October hatch date. I have a group of hatching eggs that I bought after searching the hatching eggs for sale thread for a while, before deciding what we wanted to try for. Most of them will be a surprise for my 11 year old son on his birthday in October. He's in 4H and has been begging for some bantams to show.
We ended up getting some bantams and Rhodebars; so once they came I let them sit fat side up for a day and then into the incubator they went. I hope we're lucky and get a decent hatch rate. I put them in on Thursday the 12th of September.
Good luck to everyone here too!

Hurray for all the new people joining!

Just got my eggs today woo! After a debacle during which the post office lost them and they sat over the weekend, grrr. Even after all that, only one egg was damaged, so that was good. Tonight they rest and then they go under my broody tomorrow.

Hi Matt, and everyone else here. I will join ya'll for an Oct. hatch. I have collected 6 fertilized eggs from my 4 Hen*s, I have 1 BO, and 1 BO & RR mix, and 2 RR & EE mixed hens, with 2 RR & EE Roosters. I went out and collected 2 of those eggs earlier this morning. Haven't put them in the homemade still air Styrofoam incubator yet though. I set them in a egg carton on the counter for now. Earlier today, 1 of my RR mix hens is still sitting on the nest after 3 hours of sitting. Wondering, if she got the notion to go broody. I wasn't done collecting eggs yet for my incubator clutch. Oh well, I will keep my eye on her throughout today and the next couple of days to see if she has decided to brood. She had that dazed look on her face, and pecked me 2x when I tried to pet her. LOL Good luck everyone. Marie

I'm really excited to be reading all your stories, and feel the anticipation surging through all of us.

My eggs have been in for 56 hr... I'll give it another 30-40 hrs and then the first candling =D

Welcome aboard everyone

I'c curious mstricer, what type of brinsea are you using???

hi we are in oz too and we breed belgiums among other breeds have several in brooder at the moment they so adorable just wondering if the egg you were royal show lines even then thats steep. yes they are quite rare but their getting more popular here now. i get great results incubating them in fact they are instantly recognisable they have sweeter faces than any other of my breeds. i have some more due in a few days as long as they dont come to fit my silly smart meter should be sunday. i use a bellsouth because it aussie made and the company is here so i can drive it to them for matinence. i dont use the factory instructions i run it with all air holes open and only the hatching chanel has water i run the same humidity the entire process. the humidity goes up when they start to hatch anyway. the hatch rate is 75% and up have had a 100%. i hatch for other people too on oct 13 the vic sussex club is have their helmsman auction i have been asked to do eggs from that sadly no belgiums next month after the 14th all large eggs. will try to post some pics. all the best with your hatches

Back
Top Bottom