November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I am leaning towards Khaki Campbells due to their high egg production. I had two muscovys but they flew away before I could get their wings clipped. bummer. but this time, i will get ducklings so they get used to me :)

No one has answered my question in the hatching forum, so I thought I'd try here: some of the eggs don't feel as far under my broodies as I would think they should. I can feel them from the side, when I touch the hens, and sometimes I can see a small part of the eggs hanging out. How big of a problem is this? Are the eggs supposed to be totally underneath the hens with no side exposure at all?
Day 2 of my first hatch, so I still have lots to learn! Thanks!

I have my first incubation going on right now and after numbering them and the days they were collected, they are due Oct 14-16, but of course they could be late.
jumpy.gif

I have collected ten, five here and five from a (willing!) neighbor to increase the chances of a hatching... But all I can do is hope I am doing it right after summing up some research.
fl.gif

They are in a still air basic incubator at 101 degrees F, are turned every three to four hours, on level ground in a comfortably temperatured room, and have a bowl with a wet wash cloth in there for humidity.
hide.gif

If they make it, I have five possible breeds... Colombian Rock, RIR, and Orpington are the hens responsible, but the roo's are questionable, haha. Oh well, they will be cute and pretty no matter who they came from.
love.gif

Good luck everyone!
highfive.gif

No one has answered my question in the hatching forum, so I thought I'd try here: some of the eggs don't feel as far under my broodies as I would think they should. I can feel them from the side, when I touch the hens, and sometimes I can see a small part of the eggs hanging out. How big of a problem is this? Are the eggs supposed to be totally underneath the hens with no side exposure at all?
Day 2 of my first hatch, so I still have lots to learn! Thanks!

My neighbor had a broody hen and she had told me that the hen moved the eggs around...so it wasn't always the same ones on the outside.
roll.png

I cannot wait for ducks. Maybe getting a few pheasants and maybe a peafowl as well. He told me today he likes the idea of one dwarf pig and one dwarf goat instead of ducks.... Oh, I'm sure by the time Im done, well have all of it
lau.gif
Hes a sucker for animals. sad no to another dog- he LOVES my little doxie so much. Said no to chickens, I heard him say today that he loves our chickens. I heard him, and I will mark it on the calendar
yesss.gif

I have a standard call duck, 2 tiny calls and a dwarf call!! all hatched here! I'll try to remember to post some pics!! they are all babies...just about 2 and a half months...I love my birds!! we sit out back and look at the flock as we have our coffee, they are so entertaining!
love.gif
D.gif

I have my first incubation going on right now and after numbering them and the days they were collected, they are due Oct 14-16, but of course they could be late.
jumpy.gif

I have collected ten, five here and five from a (willing!) neighbor to increase the chances of a hatching... But all I can do is hope I am doing it right after summing up some research.
fl.gif

They are in a still air basic incubator at 101 degrees F, are turned every three to four hours, on level ground in a comfortably temperatured room, and have a bowl with a wet wash cloth in there for humidity.
hide.gif

If they make it, I have five possible breeds... Colombian Rock, RIR, and Orpington are the hens responsible, but the roo's are questionable, haha. Oh well, they will be cute and pretty no matter who they came from.
love.gif

Good luck everyone!
highfive.gif

good luck to you...change out your wash rag often...if it grows bacteria it could cause problems with your eggs! happy hatching
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom