November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

All of the paint silkie eggs were clear on day 6 but before throwing any eggs out today I candled again. One of the paint eggs has a moving blastoderm! How strange is that? It looks to be a day 5 or 6 while the other fertile ones are day 10 development. I wonder how this will work? Guess if it doesn't hatch with the rest I'll leave it in until day 26 at most just in case. Never had this happen before.

All of the paint silkie eggs were clear on day 6 but before throwing any eggs out today I candled again. One of the paint eggs has a moving blastoderm! How strange is that? It looks to be a day 5 or 6 while the other fertile ones are day 10 development. I wonder how this will work? Guess if it doesn't hatch with the rest I'll leave it in until day 26 at most just in case. Never had this happen before.
that's why we advocate waiting until day 10

we had that and left the eggs in until day 30 we had 5 eggs and 3 hatched on day 30 they were so little but now are just as big as the rest, we kept them apart for a while,

Okay, I need help again! Today is supposed to be lock down, but I can't get my humidity over 60% (I have a wide water container with a sponge in it) and my temp spiked from 99 to 102!

Ideas? How long can they handle 102 without being harmed?

Last edited:
Okay, I need help again! Today is supposed to be lock down, but I can't get my humidity over 60% (I have a wide water container with a sponge in it) and my temp spiked from 99 to 102!

102 spike isn't going to harm them...hmm....put a blob of wet paper towel and see if it'll come up...watch the temp as the humidity rises the temp will come down

Going into my first lockdown, removing egg turner and attempting to raise humidity to 65-70% thinking about putting in the shelf liner on top of screen. I should have 8 chicks in a couple days if all goes well. Thanks for all the info in all these threads, it's been a help

102 is fine, I had my first batch at 102 and I hatched 7 chicks :)

strange!! I ended up with 3 roo legbars and 1 girl....is it the breed? the only thing I'm thinking is positive is using the roos to make olive eggers and I want to put one with my white leg horn and get more blue egg layers!
first hatch I got 1 roo 1 hen
second hatch 4 roos 3 hen 1 hen and 1 roo died shortly after hatching
this hatch 2 roos 1 roo. the eggs from Kentucky I am in California I think if the power hadn't gone off 4 more would have hatched.
I think. These were the nicest eggs I had gotten. Very fertile. From now on I am going open egges at day 22. Most my chicks hatch at day 20 than afew on 21
Boy what a guessing game. Glad for what I got..
My hens are molting get very few eggs TIME for a break!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom